Help Please!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Help Please! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 1994 GC8 STi and have a weird problem which im hoping someone can help me with... when ...

Post Help Please!

i have a 1994 GC8 STi and have a weird problem which im hoping someone can help me with...

when the car is turned on from a cold start, the heater is cold (as you would expect) but doesnt warm up the engine temp gauge on the dashboard spikes to "HIGH" and then if you put your foot down in the car it judders and splutters and then kicks into life, hot air flows through the vents the temp drops to normal and the revs smooth out ... any idea's ?

many thanks in advance for any help offered

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolie View Post
    i have a 1994 GC8 STi and have a weird problem which im hoping someone can help me with...

when the car is turned on from a cold start, the heater is cold (as you would expect) but doesnt warm up the engine temp gauge on the dashboard spikes to "HIGH" and then if you put your foot down in the car it judders and splutters and then kicks into life, hot air flows through the vents the temp drops to normal and the revs smooth out ... any idea's ?

many thanks in advance for any help offered
    I'm guessing, but I'd try burping it and maybe get a new thermostat.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Sorry for the idiotic reply, but "Burping it" ? what do you mean ? thanks

burping is getting the air out of the coolant system. but the real problem is how the air got there.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies, really appreciate the help, can anyone give me any pointers on places to look for possible reasons their might be air getting in etc? also if anyone has a guide on "Burping" the system that would be amazing...

again many thanks in advance for any help offered

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolie View Post
    Thanks for the replies, really appreciate the help, can anyone give me any pointers on places to look for possible reasons their might be air getting in etc? also if anyone has a guide on "Burping" the system that would be amazing...

again many thanks in advance for any help offered
    If there is air in there you can get a pressure test - could just be a radiator cap, leaking hose etc. or it could be your head gaskets. I don't know the layout on a GC but to burp it you top off the highest point and run it up to temperature and turn the heater on high. Squeeze the hoses to force out any air too. A funnel that seals on and stays full above the rim is a big help.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.