Are NA Subaru's more reliable

This is a discussion on Are NA Subaru's more reliable within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just purchased a 2009 Impreza 2.5i hatch in SWP. I love the way it drives. It feels like a ...

Exclamation Are NA Subaru's more reliable

I just purchased a 2009 Impreza 2.5i hatch in SWP. I love the way it drives. It feels like a sports car. My insurance is actually cheaper than my Scion because of all the safety features on Subaru's.

Is it true that NA subaru's are much more reliable than turbo models? I have seen plenty of old legacy's and outback's running around, but they are all NA models. I have only seen a few models with a scoop in the hood. I have always heard people talk about NA being the way to go for reliability and easy maintenance.

Is the tranny in the NA model the same as the WRX tranny? Is the NA tranny more reliable than the WRX tranny?

Lastly.... How do I make my NA Impreza louder? I have heard that a CAI will make the NA engine bog. That leave me to think that the only option is to go with a full exhaust which will be $600+

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to ClubWRX!

NA Subaru's are more reliable only because they have less things that can brake. Namely the turbo charger, these tend to fail after a few 100k. The Maintenance schedules are even the same (well on the 2005's they where).

Older models (01's and older) had hood scoops for looks alone. Even the early 90's turbo legacy's, as they didn't have intercoolers (USDM).

In 2002 the transmission in the RS and WRX was the same, but sense then Subaru has changed the WRX's 5speed transmission almost every year for the better. Not sure if the RS/i has gone though the same regiment.

Why would an intake cause the engine to bog, unless its running too rich?
    To make your car louder, just add any Cat-back exhaust. No need to change the entire exhaust if all you want is it to be louder.

i came across this thread...and it got me thinking.....about the old Gen. 1 EJ22 which came in the early legacies and imprezas.....this NA subie engine was the best engine subaru ever built.....the only other engine which i have been told can stand up to it is the EJ22T turbo engines that came in the early legacies...as far as subaru engines go....i hear these things are indestructable....plus no HG issues.......well have to wait and see if the 09 engines stand the test of time and abuse....