I smell gas

This is a discussion on I smell gas within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok I have a 2002 wagon with the k&n in fender intake otherwise stock when parked near a building or ...

I smell gas

Ok I have a 2002 wagon with the k&n in fender intake otherwise stock

when parked near a building or in stop and go traffic with the fresh air open on the heater I smell gas real bad inside my car. I cannot see any leaking anywhere. I do mainly city driving and last tank I got 22mpg. Im not sure if my car is ust running rich and there might be a leak in the intake somewhere or what is going on.

second is I have a knock/tick coming from the motor? its worse when the car is cold and has been getting worse as the temp goes down. this seems to have happend after I last changed the oil to mobil1 5w30.

Ideas besides change the oil to something else? I plan on doing that next change anyway.
    2002 wagon stock auto

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Click this - it will tell you all about your gas smell problem and how to fix it.

The noise is probably normal as long as it goes away when the car is warmed up.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by 41922 View Post
    Ok I have a 2002 wagon with the k&n in fender intake otherwise stock

when parked near a building or in stop and go traffic with the fresh air open on the heater I smell gas real bad inside my car. I cannot see any leaking anywhere. I do mainly city driving and last tank I got 22mpg. Im not sure if my car is ust running rich and there might be a leak in the intake somewhere or what is going on.

second is I have a knock/tick coming from the motor? its worse when the car is cold and has been getting worse as the temp goes down. this seems to have happend after I last changed the oil to mobil1 5w30.

Ideas besides change the oil to something else? I plan on doing that next change anyway.
    welcome to the club my friend...there is a fuel hose that shrinks when it gets cold and allows a very very small(according to subaru) ammount of fuel to leak which is what you are smelling.
    there is TSB about this or if you type in gas smell in the search bar i know there is a thread about this on here. you can try and contact SOA and see if they will do anything for you. it seems to be hit and miss what you can get them to do to help you.
    I have the same issue and am getting ready to battle with SOA myself.
    VF39'd and Clark Tuned
    BugEyeMafia #176
    Basshead Member #3

well talked to SOA and they told me I would have to take iit in then they might be able to pay for it depending on what was wrong. screw that.

I just spent the last 4 hours getting the upper intake off just to get to it. what a pain in the azz. I got to the clamps and 1 was pretty loose. primed the system and no more leak! all that to put a few turns on a stupid little clamp.

if this happens again it will be going in for sure.
    2002 wagon stock auto