broke bolt to alternator tensioner

This is a discussion on broke bolt to alternator tensioner within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What can i do if i broke the crappy quality bolt that OE issued for the alternator/tensioner? Its the one ...

Banned

broke bolt to alternator tensioner

What can i do if i broke the crappy quality bolt that OE issued for the alternator/tensioner? Its the one you screw to make the alternator create tension on the belt.. IDK what its called but that's where it is, i'm sure someone knows what to do!

help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

did you break the bolt off in the tensioner piece....if so i personally have had good luck with extractor bits from Sears....or if there is enough meat sticking out you could try and grab her with a pair of vice grips.....that is just the adjusting bolt so there shouldnt be that much force holding it in....

Banned
    yep thats the bolt I broke... so sears has them?

I actually took a nut and re-used the broken piece.. think this will hold up? It tightened just fine, i'm worried about it coming loose. I will check out sears though, i'd rather have replacement than rigging. haha

Might want to try the dealership. Haven't seen any of that length bolt at the auto parts or hardware stores.
    VF34'd Corvette Killer
    Bugeye Mafia Member #188

you could always just throw a lock washer on there and keep the nut....but not advised by me.....i actually had a problem similar to yours....i bought another bolt at NAPA...perfect length and thread pitch....just remember to bring the old bolt with you....or as suggested go to the dealership