Dealer says WRX is known to need oil between changes.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Dealer says WRX is known to need oil between changes. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Weird whining noises coming from the engine. Turns out I was low on oil... over 2 quarts low. Yikes! No ...

Question Dealer says WRX is known to need oil between changes.

Weird whining noises coming from the engine. Turns out I was low on oil... over 2 quarts low. Yikes!

No obvious leaks so into the dealership it goes (still under the extended warranty luckily). One day later they told me that there weren't any leaks and that the WRX is known to need an additional quart of oil every couple of thousand miles.

That makes no sense. I mean I've had the car for 4 years with just under 60,000 miles and have never had to add oil between changes. And where's the oil supposed to have gone? The fact that I'm losing oil someplace should point to a problem right? And wouldn't it be a terrible idea for a turbo to need additional oil like that? Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

So help me out, tell me they're full of ****. Or, stick it to me and tell me that I don't know enough about the WRX and that yeah, it needs oil like that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

oil consumpion is normal. excess is not. look at it this way usually every car ive ever owned or worked on (which is alot) usually needs one quart per 3000 miles or so. i noticed my sti is right about there w/50k on it. i had an eclipse that took i quart w/110k on it. if u start needing 2 -3 quarts per lof there has to be a problem

Most cars I have owned needed a little bit of oil between oil changes usually less then 1/2 of a quart. My present car, an '02 wrx has NEVER needed ANY oil between oil changes. At most its down 1/4 inch from the F mark. It now has 296,000 KMs/185,000 Miles... In my opinion anything more than a quart is high...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

DUB
    try a different brand. your motor may consume it slower.

I've got 122k on my WRX and it consumes about a quart to a quart and a half between oil changes. Something I found that helps reduce this is Lucas Oil Treatment. It's really thick so make sure you keep it warm before you put it in. Lately I've been putting a full quart of that in with each oil change. Haven't had to add but maybe 1/2 a quart between changes.
    VF34'd Corvette Killer
    Bugeye Mafia Member #188

Quote Originally Posted by 03CrazyTaxi View Post
    I've got 122k on my WRX and it consumes about a quart to a quart and a half between oil changes. Something I found that helps reduce this is Lucas Oil Treatment. It's really thick so make sure you keep it warm before you put it in. Lately I've been putting a full quart of that in with each oil change. Haven't had to add but maybe 1/2 a quart between changes.
    OK.

My opinion.

I find that oil consumption is related to how the motor was broken in and treated.

I broke in my 2002 WRX very gently for first 500 miles and changed oil often during the first 2500 miles. I switched to Syn oil after breakin. It has 84k miles on it now and doesn't use a drop.

I see some guys at the local strip (I race a corvette) with their WRX's. They beat the livin daylights outta them from day one and complain about oil consumption.

Now I'm not saying you pound on it but break in and how it is driven do make a difference.

As for Lucas OIL Additive:
    I wouldn't put ANYTHING Lucas makes in any vehicle I own including my lawn tractor.
    Link: What about Additives?

Again, just my opinion folks.

WR
    2002 Black WRX
    1998 GMC 1500 Pick up
    *1988 corvette street legal pro-street car
    best time 1/4: 10.5 sec at 129 mph
    *2003 Great Lakes Region Corvette Challenge Drag Racing series Points Champion.
    *2006, 2007, & 2008 NMCA True Street Class winner

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I wouldn't run Lucas, Zmax, Prolong, Slick 50 etc., in anything I owned.

History:

Ran prolong in a high miles 1983 s10, and it promptly blew up.

Buddy's dad ran Zmax in his tow rig which immediately overheated and warped a head.

Lucas I have tried in several things to which it never made an improvement, but yet never blew anything up.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't run Lucas, Zmax, Prolong, Slick 50 etc., in anything I owned.

History:

Ran prolong in a high miles 1983 s10, and it promptly blew up.

Buddy's dad ran Zmax in his tow rig which immediately overheated and warped a head.

Lucas I have tried in several things to which it never made an improvement, but yet never blew anything up.

That's a ringing endorsement for LUCAS right there!

'It's doesn't blow your stuff up"....
    Last edited by WR Wreck's; 11-24-2008 at 04:49 PM.
    2002 Black WRX
    1998 GMC 1500 Pick up
    *1988 corvette street legal pro-street car
    best time 1/4: 10.5 sec at 129 mph
    *2003 Great Lakes Region Corvette Challenge Drag Racing series Points Champion.
    *2006, 2007, & 2008 NMCA True Street Class winner

Quote Originally Posted by WR Wreck's View Post
    OK.

My opinion.

I find that oil consumption is related to how the motor was broken in and treated.

I broke in my 2002 WRX very gently for first 500 miles and changed oil often during the first 2500 miles. I switched to Syn oil after breakin. It has 84k miles on it now and doesn't use a drop.

I see some guys at the local strip (I race a corvette) with their WRX's. They beat the livin daylights outta them from day one and complain about oil consumption.

Now I'm not saying you pound on it but break in and how it is driven do make a difference.

As for Lucas OIL Additive:
    I wouldn't put ANYTHING Lucas makes in any vehicle I own including my lawn tractor.
    Link: What about Additives?

Again, just my opinion folks.

WR
    I agree, how you break it in and maintain is the main difference for engine life. However as far as additives I have found one that works... Enviro-Save Distribution & Mfg, Inc Used it in my last 5 vehicles and nothing but good things happened to my vehicles. Slightly improved gas mileage, lower coolant temps, My present car an '02 wrx has 296,500Kms/185,300Miles and never been in the shop for ANY engine, turbo or trany work... It impregnates into the metal and lowers friction.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.