what are the best brake rotor/pad combo for an 06 wrx?

This is a discussion on what are the best brake rotor/pad combo for an 06 wrx? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have warped the stock rotors, i replaced them with ebc dimpled and slotted and new oem pads and i ...

what are the best brake rotor/pad combo for an 06 wrx?

i have warped the stock rotors, i replaced them with ebc dimpled and slotted and new oem pads and i am getting signs of warping agian. what is the best set up to avoid this...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That "warping" is actually pad deposits being left behind from the OE pads. I've had very good luck with Hawk HPS pads for street use.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

i was planning on buying those ones but do you think i should just try new pads first or do rotors too?

i was looking at the dba 4000 series, with the hawk pads you mentioned

I am having those items placed on my Subie next Tuesday. Also question White Calipers, Yes or No....(Rally Blue WRX with White lettering in Windows.)

I run the OEM rotors with Hawk HPS H+ pads....a little more bite then the HPS. Work great with street use.

The stock calipers work well (the red ones).

An actual breaking mod that helps is the replacement of the brake lines from the standard rubber to stainless steel. Less expansion, takes a little of the "pedal squish" out of the system...my 2 cents
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    i was planning on buying those ones but do you think i should just try new pads first or do rotors too?
    As long as your rotors are in good shape. Clean them up with a scotch brite pad on a drill and run the new pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckster27 View Post
    I run the OEM rotors with Hawk HPS H+ pads....a little more bite then the HPS. Work great with street use.
    I run the HP+ on the front of my car during AutoX season to get better bite. However on the street I usually never get them up to the temperatures that they work the best. They also squeal like crazy. For street use I don't really see any benefit to the HP+ over the HPS.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Quote Originally Posted by jmb8806 View Post
    i have warped the stock rotors, i replaced them with ebc dimpled and slotted and new oem pads and i am getting signs of warping agian. what is the best set up to avoid this...
    What are you doing that is warping the rotors? Normally people do it when it's raining and they brake hard and then hit a puddle and douse the rotor with water while it's hot.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    That "warping" is actually pad deposits being left behind from the OE pads. I've had very good luck with Hawk HPS pads for street use.
    Why do you say that? Based on the limited information that was posted, I'd assume the rotor was actually warped. I also don't understand how pad dust could cause similar behavior to an actual warped rotor. The pressure between the rotor and pad is too much to allow any quantity of dust to get trapped between them, especially enough to feel a wobble in the wheel. And to feel a wobble in the wheel from pad dust, you would have to get a large amount of it to adhere to the brake disc since that's the turning part of the system. I have NEVER seen more than a very small amount of brake dust on a rotor. It simply gets taken off by the pads.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading