Subaru WRX Forum banner

what are the best brake rotor/pad combo for an 06 wrx?

7K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 ·
i have warped the stock rotors, i replaced them with ebc dimpled and slotted and new oem pads and i am getting signs of warping agian. what is the best set up to avoid this...

#7 ·
As long as your rotors are in good shape. Clean them up with a scotch brite pad on a drill and run the new pads.

I run the OEM rotors with Hawk HPS H+ pads....a little more bite then the HPS. Work great with street use.
I run the HP+ on the front of my car during AutoX season to get better bite. However on the street I usually never get them up to the temperatures that they work the best. They also squeal like crazy. For street use I don't really see any benefit to the HP+ over the HPS.

#6 ·
I run the OEM rotors with Hawk HPS H+ pads....a little more bite then the HPS. Work great with street use.

The stock calipers work well (the red ones).

An actual breaking mod that helps is the replacement of the brake lines from the standard rubber to stainless steel. Less expansion, takes a little of the "pedal squish" out of the system...my 2 cents

#8 ·
What are you doing that is warping the rotors? Normally people do it when it's raining and they brake hard and then hit a puddle and douse the rotor with water while it's hot.

That "warping" is actually pad deposits being left behind from the OE pads. I've had very good luck with Hawk HPS pads for street use.
Why do you say that? Based on the limited information that was posted, I'd assume the rotor was actually warped. I also don't understand how pad dust could cause similar behavior to an actual warped rotor. The pressure between the rotor and pad is too much to allow any quantity of dust to get trapped between them, especially enough to feel a wobble in the wheel. And to feel a wobble in the wheel from pad dust, you would have to get a large amount of it to adhere to the brake disc since that's the turning part of the system. I have NEVER seen more than a very small amount of brake dust on a rotor. It simply gets taken off by the pads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.