2008 WRX, noises, shudder normal?

This is a discussion on 2008 WRX, noises, shudder normal? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently bought 2008 wrx, love it. Two questions, can't seem to fine any previous posts on the subjects: 1. ...

2008 WRX, noises, shudder normal?

I recently bought 2008 wrx, love it. Two questions, can't seem to fine any previous posts on the subjects:
    1. Should my reverse gear make an odd whinning an clanking as you let off throttle?
    2. I feel a little shudder which feels like the turbo around 2800 to 3200 RPM's.

I am under warranty, so I can always take it in..

Thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

whining/clanking in reverse? Mine sounds like any other car does in reverse, and it certainly doesn't whine or clank. Check with Subaru, it's still under warranty.

Shuddering - mine has a little stutter, Subaru don't really see it as anything. They performed a relearn on the ECU which got rid of it for a while, but it came back. I don't think it's an issue. If it's a real shudder, like it shakes the car and windows, spills your Starbucks and messes up your hair, then ask Subaru to take a look.

Edit: how old is the car? I just got a TSB on my turbo oil supply. If it's built before Jan 08 (I think) get it checked out. I'm not sure if it can affect anything performance wise.
    Last edited by Raven Logics; 11-20-2008 at 11:01 AM.

details

Yeah, my car has that recall, taking it in tomorrow. Was made in 9/07.
    On the reverse gear, it's just sort of an odd sound from what I am used to.
    The shudder is minor and intermittent around 3k-3.5k RPM. Now if i was spillin' my starbucks, that'd be another thing! i am really happy with the car otherwise, i virtually stole it with 3,200 miles on it for $19k. i think so anyway. thanks for the help!

The shudder sounds a little like clutch chatter. Does it happen once you hit full boost, not feel like you are accelerating?

Another thing you might want to do is pull the MAF out and clean it with CRC QD Electronic cleaner, pull the negative off the battery, press on the brake until the odometer goes blank, and hook up the battery again. That will reset your ECU and force it to relearn.
    VF34'd Corvette Killer
    Bugeye Mafia Member #188