Is my H2O pump going bad?

This is a discussion on Is my H2O pump going bad? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have had nothing but problems with the cooling system of my car. The cooling fans have eaten more than ...

Is my H2O pump going bad?

I have had nothing but problems with the cooling system of my car. The cooling fans have eaten more than a few hoses and eventually, the radiator cracked. All of this led me to believe my car was running too hot.
    The radiator has been replaced with the Koyo al, and a new, 160 degree, FAIL OPEN thermostat. After numerous burps, spanks, swears, and kicks, my temp needle is constantly fluctuating.
    Initially, the temp will be normal. After 30 mins or so, it'll start to rise and drop. Sometimes to the second hash mark, sometimes all the way. Also, as my speed fluctuates, so does the temp. Moderated take offs increase temp, then it cools down, but will rise again as it does while at a stop light.
    The latest incident was the other day after the fan ate another hose. Put on the new hose, burped, and burped, and burped, went to the store, and the MF'er overheated. When I pulled over the overflow tank was FULL and the upper hose was under so much pressure I couldn't squeeze it. When the car finally cooled down, the pressure was normal and the overflow tank read "F" (full).

Please help, I don't wash my car anymore and I'm broke.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles are on the car? What year?
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

2003, 90k miles, with the new radiator put on around 8 months ago. Have not had the system flushed.

first of all....put a subaru OEM thermostat in it....i have seen problems like this on quite a few Subarus..when people use a NAPA or autozone or some generic thermostat....than do a very thorough burping.....what i found is helpful is if you see the temp rise and the fans dont kick on...just shut off the car for a few moments and than restart and wait for the fans to cycle.....this usually gets the air pockets out...or you could try revving it up a few times to like 4 or 5k that can help get air pockets out too......im thinking the thermostat is one of those touching items when it comes to subarus like the 02 sensors, axles and ignition components....id go with OEM....

Did something go wrong with the instal... Upside down t-sta, I know you have to burb subur like 10 times to get it right thats what happened to mine. I think that has to do with the point of not being able to fill up the radiator directly.

I don't think it's a cheapo thermostat. It's a gimmick(sp?) that I ordered online. It was put on after I read that it's a good idea if installing a bigger radiator. I live in Florida, so running a little cooler than normal isn't such a bad idea. I'm also pretty sure I put it on correctly.
    Fans are also turning on and operating at hi and low speeds (switched fuses around to make sure they were operating properly)
    Last edited by TrailerTrashed; 11-15-2008 at 03:25 PM. Reason: addition

If your sure its not the thermostat,radiator,fans,gauge,hoses,cap,or air in the system ,and you dont see any external leaks...its about time to do the t-belt anyways w/90k on her...so good excuse to go in there and see if the pump took a crap....obviously less labor intensive than the HG...thats how i was taught to deal with cooling system problems....start off with the cheap stuff and work your way up....so it sounds like H20 pump is the next thing.....

Did you ever find the problem?

My temp gauge just started fluctuating like this. I've recently picked the car it up, but have been driving it for a few weeks. The temp gauge never moved from normal operating position. Now just yesterday it started doing exactly what you described in your first post. It's got an aftermarket aluminum radiator already, so I'm thinking someone knew about the problem and didn't bother telling me when I bought the car.

not so much in the cool weather, but I have a beater car I drive most of the time anyway.
    After a new radiator, thermostat, rad fan shroud, I believe it's time to replace the pump, belts, and pulleys. They sell the whole kit at jsc speed. Good luck and let me know how it goes.