How do I change the air filter?

This is a discussion on How do I change the air filter? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In every other car that I've had, you flip a few clips, pull the cover off, take the old one ...

Banned

How do I change the air filter?

In every other car that I've had, you flip a few clips, pull the cover off, take the old one out, put the new one in, and you're done. This car, the WRX (08) doesn't seem to be that easy. Has anyone done it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned

really?

18 views in general maintenance and none of you has any advice on changing the air filter? Anyone do it on the 07 or 06 models then?

Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    18 views in general maintenance and none of you has any advice on changing the air filter? Anyone do it on the 07 or 06 models then?
    every other year has 2 clips on the air box.

i don't see why 08 would be any different...

Banned
    That's what I would have thought. Here's an image of an 08 WRX engine I found online: http://image.motortrend.com/f/924533...WRX+engine.jpg

Anyway, I went to take the two clips off, but it doesn't just pop open after that and the manual talks about removing the top part, and the clasp, and this other thing, it just looks a little silly complicated. The book doesn't even call it an air filter. I forget what they call it, but that wasn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by teikyo30 View Post
    That's what I would have thought. Here's an image of an 08 WRX engine I found online: http://image.motortrend.com/f/924533...WRX+engine.jpg

Anyway, I went to take the two clips off, but it doesn't just pop open after that and the manual talks about removing the top part, and the clasp, and this other thing, it just looks a little silly complicated. The book doesn't even call it an air filter. I forget what they call it, but that wasn't it.
    probably an 'air cleaner element' or something

this really doesn't take a BME. Have you tried reaching underneath or moving the maf wiring out of the way?

it's tight if you don't take the airbox out.

remove the intake scoop with the 2 plastic rivets, pull up and out to remove it. you should be able to see the backside of the filter in the square hole left from removing the scoop.

intake box bolts in there by 2 12mm nuts. use an extension to get to them. unclip the MAF sensor. loosen the clamp on the accordian looking MAF hose (just to the right of the MAF sensor). you can remove the mAF hose completely if it makes it easier. down on the right side are plastic clips that help route a couple hoses. pull the hoses out and watch them as you remove the intake box as they tend to get hung up on everything comming out. Pull the box out and unclip the 2 clips on the airbox lid and install new filter.

Reinstall.
    Last edited by 06WRXturbo; 11-14-2008 at 04:49 PM.