WRX Automatic gearbox stalling

This is a discussion on WRX Automatic gearbox stalling within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi, i am hoping someone could help me, i have a couple of Impreza's a STi and a WRX automatic ...

WRX Automatic gearbox stalling

Hi, i am hoping someone could help me, i have a couple of Impreza's a STi and a WRX automatic gearbox, the problem is this, when the car is cold and you try to stop the car, the car stalls as it seems it is still in gear and stalls, but once the car has warmed up, the problem goe's away.
    Can anyone shed some light on this for me.
    Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i am assuming you have checked the fluid level and condition??... sounds like something electrical to me.....maybe the TCC or one of the related solenoids.....how many miles on the trans? any other known issues with the engine or trans? any recent work done? do you notice any leaks?
    Last edited by EvoEatr; 11-12-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like it's time for a fluid change.

When its really cold you'll probably notice your car likes to idle a little above 1500RPM. If your in drive and your fully stopped, you will be putting drag on your motor, slowing it down. Warm idle in drive, stopped, should be around 650RPM, so basically your transmission is trying to drag your motor down to 650PM which it cant do very well when its really cold.

I personally have never had it stall, but i could see how you COULD stall it if you already were having a bit of a rough idle.

And this would explain why it goes away when it gets warm. Just my .02$

Hey Buddy, thanks for getting back to me, The fluid is clear and on the full level, 75000 miles, sometimes even when hot, when you turn off the car in park (P) it jumps forward slightly, and no leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    i am assuming you have checked the fluid level and condition??... sounds like something electrical to me.....maybe the TCC or one of the related solenoids.....how many miles on the trans? any other known issues with the engine or trans? any recent work done? do you notice any leaks?

by clear i hope you mean nice and red???do you have the ATF temp light on or the CEL?....as suggested earlier you might want to do a fluid exchange....not just a drain and fill.....when you drain what is in the pan and replace thats really only about 4 qts....do some looking around and find a place that does an entire exchange.....it will be more costly.....we have a machine that runs detergent threw the system after it drains the old fluid and than replaces with new fluid .....not saying this will fix your problem but it is prob. a good place to start....and the cheapest...usually if you have a problem with the electrical part of the Trans. control system it will throw a code...

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    As evoeatr stated, I do hope you're meaning red fluid and not clear. If it's clear-ish, you've got the wrong fluid in the tranny my friend.

If it's the correct fluid, take it to your local garage, oil change place, or dealership. I think Jiffy Lube charges $99 for a full flush and re-fill. But you can expect to pay more at the stealership.

Thanks again, sorry, i mean't clear red - not cloudy or murky, no warning lights. I will try and get the fluid changed as a starting point. Thanks again

Many Thanks

Hey Guys, the cheap option worked, got the old oil out (slightly of red - had a tinge of brown when drained)
    The problem has gone away...
    Thanks to all that gave me their time & help.
    Cheers Guys

thats great...glad to hear it.....the 4eat transmissions dont usually go bad with that kind of mileage....