$10,000 rebuild?!?!?

This is a discussion on ,000 rebuild?!?!? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So this is old history at this point, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if I ...

$10,000 rebuild?!?!?

So this is old history at this point, but I thought I'd throw it out there and see if I got boned.

I've got an 04 sedan. Stock other than the wheels. I drive the **** out of it, but rarely go to redline, and only momentarily when I do.

I use full synthetic, and occasionally go up to 5k between changes. The car developed a nasty tapping sound after a road trip. I parked it, knowing it was bad, and only started it again to drive it to the mechanic. Within 2 miles it had developed into a horribe "your bearings are fried" rattle and kept dying.

After my mechanic looked at it, that turned out to be just the case. The bearings in the crank were spun, and metal had circulated throughout the entire engine.

Long story short, I had a Subie dealership perform a full rebuild (to get a good warranty), as the existing components were shot. The total price tag was $9,600 dollars, plus I had to commute on my ZX10R in February, in Seattle, for a month. I was a little pissed.

Is this a normal occurence? Can a few thousand extra miles on the clock between oil changes lead to such a catastrophic failure?

I'm sure that driving the car so hard didn't help, but this seems ridiculous.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Kirk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How many miles where on the engine? What kind of Oil did you use?
    According to the manual the oil service interval for 02-05 WRX's is 7500miles (with dino juice).

$10,000 is a lot of money for an engine replacement. What kind of warranty did you receive with that?

75,000, castrol syntec 10/30.

Warranty is 2 yr / 30k mi. Nothing special, but no one else would touch it.

I'm almost positive this was something that I did, but I feel that the oil change interval couldn't be it. Maybe I'm wrong... I dunno.

I Support ClubWRX
    $10,000 is way too high - next time, go to a shop like PRE
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Haha I just pulled this out of my coat pocket from last winter when I had a fully built longblock installed in my old Eclipse (tells you how long it's been since I've worn it)...

Longblock 4899
    Swap (labor) 800
    Install LSD 450
    ACT Clutch 200
    Other fees 200

Rough Total 6,540

And that was for a completely built (pistons, rods, the works) longblock and some other goodies I had waiting in the wings...

my friend had the same problem, he had like i think 120k miles on his car or less and went about 5k miles before oil change, and he spun a bearing. yea he beat on the car a bit but thats why they make them so strong rite? anyway a local tuner priced for $6799 for a new motor, sti shortblock, re-use heads, install, and everything else that goes with it.
    05 WRX Wagon *SOLD*

99 Civic SI *ITR 5 Lug-16x8 Dunlop CP-R's* *SOLD*

2010 Tacoma 6-Speed *SOLD*

2007 WRB STi

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah...that isn't normal. You could have a fully built long block for less than that price.

It was a full rebuild, but yeah, I think I got screwed. Thanks guys.

you could have a NIICE setup for 10gs full motor build AND coilovers lol
    07 WRX CGM, blouch tdo6 18g and supporting mods. Defi racer series gauges, some other random stuff.
    04 Nissan Titan 4x4 LE CC Silver (Sold and missed)

HAWK EYED ALLIANCE #686

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah You got screwed. I would say by dealership stds you were boinked to the tune of about $4000 too much. An engine rebuild performed at a shop with turbo rebuild or replacement, shouldn't have run more than $5-6k.
    Last edited by 06wrx4me; 11-13-2008 at 11:44 AM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Bastards... dammit.