Rattling Cruise Control in an 05
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Rattling Cruise Control in an 05 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just got an 05 with 49k miles and my cruise control is rattling. I read the fix, http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/interi...z-diy-fix.html , ...

Rattling Cruise Control in an 05

I just got an 05 with 49k miles and my cruise control is rattling. I read the fix, Cruise Control Buzz DIY Fix, but I also read a lot of people saying that it was fixed by dealerships for free because of a TSB. I called my local dealership and asked them about it but when they searched on my VIN they said that there were no open issues with the car. They also said that they had never heard of the problem and that it would not be covered under warranty. So I am wondering if it was in fact something that should be fixed under warranty or because of a TSB and if so could someone post more info on that. Thanks.
    Last edited by suppersppy; 11-11-2008 at 01:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nothing? Nobody has any info? I am going insane!

I Support ClubWRX
    Same thing happens with my '04. Never heard of the TSB. I guess I've just gotten to the point where the radio and road noise is louder than the rattle.

They talk about the TSB here cruise control thingy

I Support ClubWRX
    I had that in my 05, just remove the two screws (small phillips) on the back and carefully take it apart. you will see a small circuit board in there. take a piece of black tape and put it in the housing behind it. this will cure it.

I am leary of messing with it because I have a warranty that should cover it unless I mess it up. Warranty won't kick in for a couple of weeks though.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not brain surgery, and if you can change batterys in a remote you can do this.

My 05 did this too, but I took it in during the 3 year/36k mile warranty, and they replaced the whole arm peace.

Like Bahamabob said, it's not that hard, just electrical tape it down. Hope that works for you

I tried to mess with this today using those little screw drivers with the rotating end piece and there was no chance I was going to do anything other than strip the screws. I think I will need better screw drivers and maybe a friend to hold the arm so I can press against it to get the screws loosened. They are tight! Once I get it off what's the foam I should use?
    Last edited by suppersppy; 11-16-2008 at 03:50 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    just use a small strip of regular black electrical tape. You are right, use really good jeweler screwdrivers.

I feel like a retard now that I got this done. I got the right screw drivers, very important, and then it was really no problem. The only thing that's in the stalk is a thick wire connected to a circuit board with a button on the circuit board. The circuit board is what rattles, I assume, because it just slides into a little channel in the plastic and t was very loose in there. I put a small strip of gaffers tape under the circuit board and another small strip stuck to the back half so it was on top of the circuit board. I put everything back together and now it's nice and tight. Thanks everybody.

I Support ClubWRX
    Glad we could help, Thats what is good about this forum.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.