plastic fasteners for engine compartment underbody shield?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on plastic fasteners for engine compartment underbody shield? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First off, I don't own a true Subaru, but rather a "Saabaru", i.e. a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (2.0 L ...

plastic fasteners for engine compartment underbody shield?

First off, I don't own a true Subaru, but rather a "Saabaru", i.e. a 2005 Saab 9-2x Aero (2.0 L turbo). I figure there's alot more Subaru Impreza WRX owners around than those owning the now extinct Saab 9-2x, hence my question on this forum. I'm assuming that the 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX turbo has the same stupid fiberglass shield on the bottom of the engine compartment as my 9-2x. If not, call me an idiot newbie and I'll be on my way. I call it a "stupid" shield because it makes changing oil a pain in the rump. My problem: The shield is held by 5 bolts and 4 plastic fasteners/rivets. Those rivets are just about all destroyed and I want to get replacements short of having to get them through the Saab/Subaru dealer for 20x what they're worth. I checked a couple of auto parts places and they don't have them. Have any of you had this problem and found a source for those fasteners?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a similar underbelly pan...and welcome. My 06 is held on with 5 bolts and 4 fasteners too. I believe the 02-05 Wrx's were able to service without removal of the belly pan, where as my 06 requires it. My fasteners are getting destroyed too after 40,000 miles. While I'll probably just buy factory ones at a few $'s a piece, you can go to autozone and plunder their plastic fasteners isle for cheap replacements.

Or if you wanted to get crafty and delete the plastic fasteners, you could goto McMaster-Carr and order nutserts, captive nuts, or rubber encapsulated nut, and use screws. The rubber encapsulated nut similar to a windscreen bolt setup on a motorcycle would be easy, effective and cheap.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, just get some from the dealer. They may be 20x $0.05, but its still not worth your time to hunt around.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Yeah, just get some from the dealer. They may be 20x $0.05, but its still not worth your time to hunt around.
    I called the Subaru dealer. It turns out they're 61 X .05 each, i.e. $3.05 EACH. I think I'll prowl the aisles of Autozone or NAPA and find something that fits for maybe 40 or 50 cents each. Sure I could afford $12.20 for the 10 cents worth of plastic, but I'd feel like a fool after paying it. I was able to locate an old thread about this topic and learned that Dorman makes 1/2" nylon rivets which Autozone sells for $3.99 for a pkg of 10 (part #799-105). So that's 40 cents apiece vs $3.05 through Subaru. I didn't even check with Saab. No doubt $5.00 or more per piece. Perhaps Mercedes or BMW uses the same fastener and charges $10.00 apiece.

I'm hoping they fit though it sounds like the poster had direct experience using that Dorman fastener, so I'm optimistic.

Update

Just an update...I bought the Dorman part at Autozone yesterday and they do fit. It seems they'll be easier to remove (probably no prying them off with a screwdriver) because they have a stem which can be used to pull them out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by virginia_wrx View Post
    Just an update...I bought the Dorman part at Autozone yesterday and they do fit. It seems they'll be easier to remove (probably no prying them off with a screwdriver) because they have a stem which can be used to pull them out.
    Can we get a pic of them installed?

(you'll need to post 2 more times to meet the forum requirement to attach pics)
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I'll try to get and post pics of them this weekend (my daughter has car now) both showing the shield (which won't be that useful) and an individual pic of the Dorman fastener. As I said before, my car is actually an '05 Saab 9-2x Aero (turbo) but it's made by Subaru and is an Impreza WRX for all intents and purposes. Only change is different grill and Saab insignia. Just another example of "badge engineering". Actually, the fact that it's really a Subaru was a selling point for me because Subarus are WAY more reliable than true Saabs. Anyway the shield/belly pan (or whatever you want to call it) is held in place by (5) 12mm bolts in addition to the (4) subject rivets/fasteners. So I'm 99% sure that it's identical to whichever Imprezas have that same shield/belly pan and the same number of bolts/fasteners holding it in place.

In the meantime...

Here's the url for the Dorman push-in rivet sold by Autozone:

AutoZone.com | Shopping | Search Results for "799-105" from our Accessories Catalog

you can found all info of fasteners at:

L keys, Pins

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.