2004 STI maintenance question

This is a discussion on 2004 STI maintenance question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys i'm new to this forum i think this is my first thread, well first of many. i've had ...

2004 STI maintenance question

hey guys i'm new to this forum i think this is my first thread, well first of many.

i've had my STI for 3 months now and i'm at 62k miles.

i'm looking to change my tranny fluid and rear diff fluid.

my question is the tranny takes 4.3 quarts of GL-5 what is GL-5 is that the same as 75-90?

also is there a subaru parts site where i could order the washers for the drain plugs?

the rear diff asks for gear oil LSD 1.2 quarts where can i find gear oil LSD? it also states to put three bond on the rear diff drain and fill plugs, what is three bond the same as anti seise?

thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    GL-5 is a fluid specification and can come in a variety of viscosities, 75W-90 being one of them.

LSD means limited slip differential, and there are additives designed for limited slip differentials. Some lubricants come pre-formulated.

The '3-bond' is a thread sealer. It is not the same as anti-seize compound. In the past I've substituted silicone sealant; your experience may vary.

Parts are available through a variety of online vendors and locally. Shop around.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Would mobile one 75-90 be ok to use in the tranny of the 2004 STI? Will the tranny, front diff, and center diff be drained and filled when I do this maintenance procedure?

Thank you for any help with these questions. This is my first turbo car so Iím trying to figure out how it all works. I use to have a 4x4 4runner that I built up and land rover discovery that Iíve built up and a 240sx that I torn apart and rebuilt a few times but the subie is just foreign to me.

I Support ClubWRX
    The STi gearbox uses a pump mechanism to distribute lubricant, it is not entirely a splash system like the non-STi WRX boxes. Theoretically, any GL5 of the correct viscosity will work. However, people have specific preferences, and M1 is not frequently one of them. Since I don't have the same gearbox I can't help much, but search for the transmission fluid sticky thread and there's lots of info there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.