Mobil 1 syntech problem - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mobil 1 syntech problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Sorry just to claer someting up Mobil1 in South Africa used by Subaru South Africa is 0W40...

Modil1

Sorry just to claer someting up Mobil1 in South Africa used by Subaru South Africa is 0W40

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've run Mobil 1 Snythetic and Mobil 1 filters in all my Subarus. I currently have a 2004 wrx/sti hydbrid heavily modded with 50,000 miles (approx. 406 hp). and a 2006 wrx with a VF-39 turbo swap at 24,000 miles. I had a stock 2002 wrx with 102,000 when I traded it in. Never had an oil issue. The story is true, though, that every motor drinks oil differently...
    Movn' on up to an '06 WRX
    Vf-39 all the way!

Love to build 'em, just to ship 'em out and start all over!

I got friends in cyberspace, so I must be cool, right?
    Facebook / Myspace

Don't fear M1. I have used it since 1000 miles. I regularly rev it to 7200rpm and I have not blown up so far. This whole M1 causing engine failure is plain silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    It must be on the Subway diet. Did you name it Jared?

I know this thread is older then dirt and may get the thread revival of the year award but I could not help myself from posting in it b/c Uncle Scotty has recently told me the same thing b/c my STI spit out the code P0021 and that combined w/ the fact that I use Mobil 1 10W30 he came to the conclusion that my engine was going to need a rebuild lol. The code was being thrown b/c I had a sticking AVCS Solenoid which I had replaced and since then it has run fine. Of course his comeback to that was that...well WHAT was stuck in it and WHY???? Well duh I have no idea, maybe carbon or anything like that but its not like I'm going to have my engine torn down just to find out.

Ive run Mobil 1 in my STI since I got it with 37,000 miles on it and it has 93,000 miles on it now and I'm going to keep using Mobil 1 10W30 in it. Its what the manual says to use, its what it says on the oil cap, its what the dealer ship uses.
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

I Support ClubWRX
    Uncle Scotty seems to think he's a fluids god. Just ignore him. His "Cocktail" is super popular, and has been proven time and again by oil analysis to breakdown prematurely.

Your car should say 5w30 or 10w40, not 10w30?

If M1 5w30 is so bad, then why has Chevy used it exclusively on the c5 and c6 corvette platforms?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    by the way... the AVCS banjo bolts have filters (I don't remember what year they took them out). And that's maybe a reason why your solenoid would stick. Lack of oil to the solenoid. Maybe toss Uncle Scotty that gem, tell him to eff off, and then go down in a flaming glory over there in nasioc. It's a worthless site as it is IMNSHO.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

ive heard great things about that oil and think youll be quite fine.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    Ive run Mobil 1 in my STI since I got it with 37,000 miles on it and it has 93,000 miles on it now and I'm going to keep using Mobil 1 10W30 in it. Its what the manual says to use, its what it says on the oil cap, its what the dealer ship uses.
    Ummm...my manual (and oil cap itself) said to use 5w30 on my 07 STI when I had it (and my 05 STI...and on my 2012 WRX)...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Ummm...my manual (and oil cap itself) said to use 5w30 on my 07 STI when I had it (and my 05 STI...and on my 2012 WRX)...
    It's a sliding scale. Colder/temperate climates should use 5W30 year-round. In warmer regions like SoCal or AZ (i.e. not Maine), or if the car sees hard use, Subaru recommends 10W30 due to the warmer ambient temperatures. The manual has a temperature scale which indicates which flavor to use. I think anyone in the NE should be using 5W30.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I meant to say 5W30, had 10W on my mind b/c of looking for oil for my bike. I'm not worried at all especially b/c of something some moron says online that has nothing to back it up with. I have not torn into him to bad at all but if I do I dont care about getting banned from there,that site is an fíng joke to begin with. I had not posted in there for a very long time up until then.

Figured I would throw this at him as well, hoping to get him to snap and then banned lol.

"Had another day of issue free problem free driving of my STI. Guess my engine is ready to blow ANY MINUTE NOW according to Uncle Scotty the internet oil expert.

Considering you were so off base on your expect analysis of what was going on with my car I'll throw a little advise your way as well. Please refrain from giving out advise about cars to anyone on the internet or in person. This would include Subarus, forigin demoistic and exotc type cars, please refrain from giving advise out on anything with 4 wheels regardless of brand make make or model. This would also extended to anything driven by two wheels such as motorcycles, cruiser , sport bikes and touring motorcycles and also including bicycles b/c apparently using the wrong type of oil to lube your bike chain will lead to catastrophic bicycle failure.

Do the internet a favor and please refrain from giving out your horrible and baseless advise with 0 backing behind it other then internet based rumors."
    Last edited by Venom351R; 04-10-2014 at 05:24 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I meant to say 5W30, had 10W on my mind b/c of looking for oil for my bike. I'm not worried at all especially b/c of something some moron says online that has nothing to back it up with. I have not torn into him to bad at all but if I do I dont care about getting banned from there,that site is an fíng joke to begin with. I had not posted in there for a very long time up until then.
    I've been a member there since 2002 and I sometimes do searches. There are tons of useful info there, and some of the mods here were/are mods there too I believe. The members vary in quality and quantity of knowledge, and that particular member is in my view wrong explicitly in each and every instance where he posts something with which I disagree.... Heh...

Anyway, guys, read the manual for the correct spec then find an oil that suits your wallet and gets you good wear numbers in your engine, and/or isn't used too quickly by your motor.

For the bike, I think Rotella T6 is OK for a wet clutch. Look for the JASO MA approval if your bike's maker uses JASO. I know Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and V-Twin 20W-50 are approved, for example, as I think is Rotella T6. There may be numerous oils that you could use in both your Subaru and your bike. It's just a matter of finding a JASO MA + API SN or SL or Swhatever oil.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    FWIW, I did seem to notice higher oil consumption when using Mobile 1 as compared to Valvoline Synthetic. I tended to burn about .75L over 4000 miles compared to .5L or less with Valvoline. Does that make it "bad"? Not really. The car ran fine with either oil.

I do prefer Valvoline Synthetic now, though. It's about the same in price as M1 and just as plentiful in local shops.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    by the way... the AVCS banjo bolts have filters (I don't remember what year they took them out). And that's maybe a reason why your solenoid would stick. Lack of oil to the solenoid. Maybe toss Uncle Scotty that gem, tell him to eff off, and then go down in a flaming glory over there in nasioc. It's a worthless site as it is IMNSHO.
    I remember reading something about that as well, I dont think they had the screens in 07 but I'm not positive

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I've been a member there since 2002 and I sometimes do searches. There are tons of useful info there, and some of the mods here were/are mods there too I believe. The members vary in quality and quantity of knowledge, and that particular member is in my view wrong explicitly in each and every instance where he posts something with which I disagree.... Heh...

Anyway, guys, read the manual for the correct spec then find an oil that suits your wallet and gets you good wear numbers in your engine, and/or isn't used too quickly by your motor.

For the bike, I think Rotella T6 is OK for a wet clutch. Look for the JASO MA approval if your bike's maker uses JASO. I know Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 and V-Twin 20W-50 are approved, for example, as I think is Rotella T6. There may be numerous oils that you could use in both your Subaru and your bike. It's just a matter of finding a JASO MA + API SN or SL or Swhatever oil.
    I know of a ton of guys on the RR forums using Rotella T6 and have been for a long time with 0 issues. Seems to work well from what I can tell. I for one am not one that uses it right now I have AMSOIL in it but I'm going to switch to the Mobil 1 4T bc I can get it at walmart for $9.99 a QT.

I Support ClubWRX
    I know of a ton of guys on the RR forums using Rotella T6 and have been for a long time with 0 issues. Seems to work well from what I can tell. I for one am not one that uses it right now I have AMSOIL in it but I'm going to switch to the Mobil 1 4T bc I can get it at walmart for $9.99 a QT.
    Good to know. You know, in my view -- and I admit a bike with the RR's power may be different -- in some cases an owner will say "my bike clutch is slipping" when in reality the cable just needs adjusting. A modern multi disk wet clutch is really quite resilient. A high power bike changes the equation, but often it's not the "car" oil's additives that have "fouled" the bike clutch friction surfaces, nor are the surfaces worn beyond clamping -- it's a simple cable adjustment.

I think the M1 4T and V2 bike oils used to meet Subaru minimum spec (I think they're API SL but might be mistaken) but in any case they no longer do so. That's the attraction theoretically to T6 -- the right viscosity could be used in a Subaru, a bike, a lawnmower, etc. and it's very well priced.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast