crush washer issue and oil level issue

This is a discussion on crush washer issue and oil level issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I changed my oil to Mobil 1 fully synthetic last night on my 07 wrx and have 2 questions. 1. ...

crush washer issue and oil level issue

I changed my oil to Mobil 1 fully synthetic last night on my 07 wrx and have 2 questions.

1. Does the crush washer for the drain bolt need to be installed a certain way. I put the side with the rounded edge against the pan. I had a leak. i asked the tech at the Subaru dealership prior to the oil change and he said rounded edge against the pan. Which way is correct? i then put the old crush washer back on with the rounded edge against the bolt and the flat side against the pan. no leak. next oil change im doing fumoto valve so i will never have this problem again!

2. Because i had a leak i had to quickly take the bolt off and put the extra crush washer on. I do not know exactly how much oil came out and my dipstick seems to be pretty inaccurate. i know i have at least 4.5 quarts in there and the front of the dipstick reads almost at the F. the backside of the dipstick reads past the F. Does it matter what the backside reads?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you put the crush washer on correctly the first time. the flat side of the crush washer should be against the flat drain plug, and the rounded side is against the oil pan.

I see a lot of cars that leak still have the factory crush washer still on the drain plug causing a double gasket. The factory crush washer is painted black on the edges and can be easily overlooked if you don't know what to look for. I use a pocket screwdriver to pry it off the drainplug.

its normal for the dip stick to read that way. some just average the 2 sides. If your dipstick has two tiny holes in it (one for low, one for high) just makes sure theres oil in the top hole.

i'm ordering an 08/09 STI drainplug next oil change because i've seen they are magnetic.
    Last edited by 06WRXturbo; 11-09-2008 at 08:16 PM.

06wrx thanks!

i havent even noticed the second washer. i'll take a look on the next oil change.

also i had someone on nasioc say that my 5w 30 mobil 1 was very dangerous for hot weather? i've never heard of this. and im in so cal. right now its not hotter than 80 out....

Hey 06 wrx -- read this awhile back. not sure if its worth it...

What about magnetic drain plugs or magnets for your oil filter? An oil filter has the ability to filter objects smaller than the human eye can see. If you use a magnetic drain plug, magnets on the bottom of your oil pan, or magnetic devices on your oil filter, they do work, however, they are only holding particles that would normally end up in your oil filter anyway. There is no harm in these devices, however they provide no additional protection.

Quote Originally Posted by 06WRXturbo View Post
    you put the crush washer on correctly the first time. the flat side of the crush washer should be against the flat drain plug, and the rounded side is against the oil pan.

I see a lot of cars that leak still have the factory crush washer still on the drain plug causing a double gasket. The factory crush washer is painted black on the edges and can be easily overlooked if you don't know what to look for. I use a pocket screwdriver to pry it off the drainplug.

its normal for the dip stick to read that way. some just average the 2 sides. If your dipstick has two tiny holes in it (one for low, one for high) just makes sure theres oil in the top hole.

i'm ordering an 08/09 STI drainplug next oil change because i've seen they are magnetic.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by 06WRXturbo View Post
    Does it really matter? It's just a piece of metal that gets crushed. I have never paid attention to which way it goes on and I have never had a leak from the drain plug.

Quote Originally Posted by wrb07x View Post
    06wrx thanks!

i havent even noticed the second washer. i'll take a look on the next oil change.

also i had someone on nasioc say that my 5w 30 mobil 1 was very dangerous for hot weather? i've never heard of this. and im in so cal. right now its not hotter than 80 out....

I am not sure about running it in :hot" weather but I know that i will never run it again. I bought my car new and I did the break in period changes (not everyone agrees this needs to be done- but it doesn't hurt). Well my wife has always used mobil 1 in her celica and has worked very well for her.

When i switched I notice a quart of consumption every 1K mile with mobil 1. I called two dealers and they both advised me it was within spec and to just check it.

Well I switch to Motul and I have not had a problem since. (No oil consumption to speak of)

As previous stated the crush washer is to be put on with the flat side against the head of the bolt and the tapered side against the pan.

The one thing you have to remember, i made this mistake the first time i did it... A crush washer is just that- it is made to be crushed. Once you go tight with the bolt go just a bit further to ensure the washer is "crushed" the entire way. I always go tight- then a little more and I have never had a problem since.

When you reused your old washer you could have tightened it down and since it was already "crushed" then it would not have needed the extra push.

Just my .02