coolant leak

This is a discussion on coolant leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have an '05 impreza and its leaking coolant around the reservoir...this problem started a month ago and i took ...

coolant leak

i have an '05 impreza and its leaking coolant around the reservoir...this problem started a month ago and i took it to the mechanic, they did a pressure test and found nothing, then the problem stopped for a while...now its doing it again. the leak does not occur while im driving only while idling like in a drive thru or stop light...any suggestions as to the problem and how to fix it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Post pictures. Is the top of the reservoir leaking where the top meets the body (they are bolted onto each other)? Where is it leaking?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i dont know where the leak is, hence the problem. the pressure test would have found the leak i thought but i guess not. the top of the reservoir was wet as well as the bin below before it would leak onto the ground

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm assuming we are talking about the reservoir near the turbo, on the passenger side of the motor (for USA cars). It has a radiator cap on it, and it has hoses going to the turbo and to the overflow tank located next to the radiator on the driver's side of a USA car.

If that's the case, three options going only from your description:

1. The tank itself is leaking at the seam where the top of the tank is connected to its body. Repair/replace the tank in that case.

2. The hoses are leaking. If you have squeeze type clamps on there, they can and will leak. If that's the case, replace the clamps first, and if no joy then replace the hoses and clamps.

3. The radiator cap is leaking.

Let's stick to no. 3 first. From your description, this is the most likely scenario. I say this because the pressure test did not find any leaks, and you see juice on top of the tank. The pressure test checks the system for leaks. The only component not tested is... the cap.

Consider a $5 bet on a new radiator cap.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

negative, this is not the turbo, its the 2.5 rs

I Support ClubWRX
    Then what reservoir are you talking about?

the coolant reservoir located near the front of the car on the driver's side right near the head light

I Support ClubWRX
    The white plastic reservoir? OK.

Is it empty?

Remove it and clean it up, and look to see if it leaks. It probably doesn't though. What I suspect may be happening is you have a leak in the tube that goes to the reservoir. This it not a pressurized part of the system, so a pressure test would not detect leaks here. Look at the tube closely for cracks or holes.

If you can't find a leak in the reservoir itself you can try replacing the tube. Measure the length you'll need. Common tubing from the auto parts store will work, as long as it can take heat -- tell them what it's for and they'll set you up.

ok now heres the catch, the problem has stopped but will probly return again. the reservoir isnt empty but it isnt at its full point either...i checked when the problem occured and the reservoir was way past full. i'll check the tank and see what i can find tho

I Support ClubWRX
    From your description it is unclear whether there is a problem. The reservoir has a small pinhole on its vertical surface and the tubing going into it is not sealed. These two escapes are how excess coolant is dispelled (onto the ground).

Could it be the system was overfilled and it simply overflowed? Just a thought.

I would really like to know what happened to this intermittent leak. I seem to be having a similar problem. The last suggestion is nice - just that the coolant has been overfilled, but I don'T think that that is it because the coolant leaking enough to empty the reservoir, but not more so that it is emptying from the radiator.

The plastic reserve tank and hoses to it seem like a good idea, but mechanic expects their to be green coolant residue at the leak point and can't find it at the moment. Other than that the symptoms on this thread are very similar to mine.