bent intake valve after head gasket job

This is a discussion on bent intake valve after head gasket job within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just had some quick questions as I am not too familiar with the way these engines work. I have a ...

bent intake valve after head gasket job

Just had some quick questions as I am not too familiar with the way these engines work. I have a 03 Legacy and just had the head gaskets replaced by subaru, they said after they replaced it they road tested the car and it was fine. I came to pickup the car, start it up and the first thing is the car starts shaking violently and the check engine light came on.

They pulled it back in and pulled the code and said cylinder 1 was misfiring, they said the compression/leak down test came back fine, they call me back today saying the car is all fixed and that the cam gear broke and bent an intake valve which they replaced.

Now I am wondering for when I go back tomorrow what questions I should ask, and if you guys have any comments on what might have caused this to happen and if I should worry about piston or any other damage that might have happened?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Are you paying for the additional repairs? If not, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are, I would asked to see the broken/bent pieces. I know it's a Subaru dealership, but the hire from the pot. SO you may have gotten a 'super genius' mechanic. May have not had everything lined up. Sure the valve bent and the cam gear broke. May have been from the impact. Maybe it was a good mechanic that had a bad day. **** happens. Who knows? They could tell you anything.

But if it ain't your bill, I wouldn't worry.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

well the car has 120k miles on it so there warranty is gone, I paid a total of 3k for the headgasket job + clutch job and for misc maintenance items. I just don't want the engine to be damaged at all after I just dropped all this money into it.

Quote Originally Posted by infox View Post
    well the car has 120k miles on it so there warranty is gone, I paid a total of 3k for the headgasket job + clutch job and for misc maintenance items. I just don't want the engine to be damaged at all after I just dropped all this money into it.
    So did they charge you extra to fix the cam gear and valve?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    So did they charge you extra to fix the cam gear and valve?
    sorry, no they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by infox View Post
    sorry, no they didn't.
    You'll be fine. Keep trucking.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

well I got the car back saturday and everything seemed fine, the car was running better than it ever has and I think the new updated clutch fixed all the issues I was having with the transmission (random grinding in 1st, random bucking of the car when in gear).

However now I got a more serious issue, started the car up this morning after sitting over night and was letting it warm up. I was standing next to it smoking a cig and I started to hear a faint rattling/knocking noise coming from the driver's side engine bay after it was about half way warmed up and of course the service department is closed sunday!

my guess is that either you are hearing the valve train or rod knock. hope its just the valve train.
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #524
    "Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away"