Engine click/ Knock

This is a discussion on Engine click/ Knock within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; New to subie world. Well I have an 03 wrx wagon and on my way home from work last night ...

Engine click/ Knock

New to subie world. Well I have an 03 wrx wagon and on my way home from work last night my car suddenly shut off. I then pulled off the freeway checked the fluid levels on the car and everything seemed to be normal. So here is my concern. I hear stories of that clickin noise that happends in subies. Well i use to have that same noise and it would go away but now it seems to not go away. So when i start the car i hear the noise and let the car idle, then lets say if i place the car in gear and attempt to move the car shuts off. HELP PLEASE

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is the CEL going on when the car shuts off? Do you have an OBD scanner? Any recent changes before the problem got much worse?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

No changes done to the vehicle. i bought the car @ a used car dealership. car has FMC and Greedy blow off valve and apexi axle back. put only 2500 miles on the car since purchased 1 month ago no i don't have an obd scanner and yes the check engine light comes on along with the oil light n others
    Last edited by 1Quikwagon; 11-07-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Quikwagon View Post
    No changes done to the vehicle. i bought the car @ a used car dealership. car has FMC and Greedy blow off valve and apexi axle back. put only 2500 miles on the car since purchased 1 month ago no i don't have an obd scanner and yes the check engine light comes on along with the oil light n others
    uh ohh.....if i was you id get that checked out fast....autozone has free obdII scanning so you can see why your cel is on....that knocking sounds scary.....trust me ive been through it

Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    uh ohh.....if i was you id get that checked out fast....autozone has free obdII scanning so you can see why your cel is on....that knocking sounds scary.....trust me ive been through it

The check engine light only comes on when car stalls

DUB
    All the dash warning lights come on when it stalls because the key is in the on position and that is what they do when the key is in the on position. It's so you can make sure they are all working.

So your symptoms are a clicking/knocking noise followed by the car stalling, maybe it's not as bad as you fear. Maybe post a video of it happening and we can help you trouble shoot. Or, take it to a qualified independent Subaru mechanic.

yea thats normal for the lights to go on when the car stalls.....but when you turn the car back on is the cel still on?

You have three possible problems that I can see:
    1. BOV
    2. FMC - I assume you mean a FMIC?
    3. Tune? With the FMIC you would need a tune for the car to run properly.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    FMIC without removing cats?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

well i didn't install the fmic or the blow off the car came like that i was goin to convert it to stock and build it but now this happens. any suggestions i will b parting out the after market fmic which is Greddy and blow off valve n intercooler piping

well i didn't install the fmic or the blow off the car came like that i was goin to convert it to stock and build it but now this happens. any suggestions i will b parting out the after market fmic which is Greddy and blow off valve n intercooler piping
    replace all the aftermaket parts with the stock ones and see what happens

i will b parting out the after market fmic which is Greddy and blow off valve n intercooler piping
    o really?..price lol

wrx0131..that back end looks sexy

Quote Originally Posted by wrxbmxican View Post
    o really?..price lol

wrx0131..that back end looks sexy
    Why thank u lol