SOA Response - Oil Break In and Synthetic Usage - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on SOA Response - Oil Break In and Synthetic Usage within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; heather, I'm sorry to say but your man has a super twisted view on synthetic oil... Every enthusiast I know ...

heather, I'm sorry to say but your man has a super twisted view on synthetic oil...

Every enthusiast I know uses synthetic.
    Every enthusiast also tends to romp on the car a bit harder.
    Everyone I know that romps on their car too much has had motor problems.

hmmm.

I can't say I win, but I believe my point is valid.
    You still win because you're the only member of CWRX to successfully score with speedette

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Did you ever consider that maybe your problem is what I highlighted in your post above? Change your own oil and stop taking your car into a bunch of untrained monkeys to change your oil and maybe you'd have better luck!
    Do people need to put the word "joke" in a bright red, size 7 font before you guys have an ounce of insight into what you are reading? Hell, I already basically did that for you when I wrote it. At this rate you guys would take me seriously if I said that Harry Potter was based on a true story [**JOKE**](don't tell Heather)[/**JOKE**].

Quote Originally Posted by efmd3 View Post
    heather, I'm sorry to say but your man has a super twisted view on synthetic oil.
    I'm sorry to say that I'm not alone in feeling synth is a waste of money. I've seen and heard plenty of shops, tuners, and other auto enthusiasts who say the exact same thing. Do you ask every enthusiast that you know what oil they use? Why do you assume that only people on internet forums (general statement) beat on their cars more than those who aren't? And it's inherent that anyone who beats on their car more is going to have problems.

Like I said, I'm not demanding that all of you guys switch back to regular oil. If putting synthetics in gives you that happy feeling in your pants, have at it. I'm simply saying that it's not the magic sauce that it's made out to be and to be cautious.
    Last edited by brfatal; 11-09-2008 at 07:19 AM.

You guys could debate this for days and neither would be right. You use what oil you feel comfortable with.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post

Freak accident that supports my suspicion. February I took my car to a 15 minute oil change station. This was after I said no more synth oil after hearing all the stories and after having spun a bearing myself. When they were ringing me up they told me they accidentally used Royal Purple and not the Castrol dino I'd asked for and that they weren't charging me. I knew something bad was going to happen. 150 miles later I had broken rings and scored cylinder walls. Curses!
    I think that is/was the real problem, the 15 minute oil change place, not the synthetic oil, (if they actually did put in synthetic). Did you even check the dipstick for oil level, or if they actually put enough oil in the car. I would have if "knew" something bad was going to happen... And yes I too think more enthusiast are using synthetic oils then regular Dino oils. JMO
    Last edited by wrxdrvr; 11-09-2008 at 10:39 AM.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

OK, this debate isn't personal, it's about oil.

So, I don't mean to add any fuel to the fire but check this out, it just hit me:

In the months before I bought my rex I had TRIED to squeeze performance out of my 04 RS. Just little things, such as pulstar plugs, a rear sway, AND a royal purple synthetic oil change out. 1-2 months after using RP my dealership told me that my head gasket was leaking and would need to be replaced in the near future (a $2K job if done by the dealership BTW, F that! Thus the decision to get my rex). Now, I know the NA 2.5L engines are infamous for head gasket failure, but maybe, just maybe RP help set that in motion.

I don't know. Synthetics can't be bad, it's proven technology. But maybe what it is is brand. Royal purple and Redline have been named a lot in long term failures, although in the short term they are proven for performance.

So, I still don't know what I'm gonna do! Haha, guess I'll flip a coin. If I use synth I'm not gonna use RP.

I Support ClubWRX
    On "what oil threads" in general, nobody specifically:

Look at the data. If you are interested in a specific oil, look at used oil analyses for that oil in your specific motor. Go from there.

What difference could it possibly make what one's feelings or thoughts on the matter are? There are data. Look up what others have generated, and if you're still interested send out a sample and generate your own data (ideally, over time to track trends).

"I heard..." or "My second cousin the aerospace lubricant engineer" or "my tuner that has more experience than Subaru on Subarus" etc. aren't meaningful. Data are.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i used royal purple once and 6 months later trying to run 25+ psi on meth i spun a bearing... must be related.

i think without romping on a car, neither oil is really significantly different from the other.

DUB
    Do people need to put the word "joke" in a bright red, size 7 font before you guys have an ounce of insight into what you are reading? Hell, I already basically did that for you when I wrote it. At this rate you guys would take me seriously if I said that Harry Potter was based on a true story [**JOKE**](don't tell Heather)[/**JOKE**].
    Maybe your just bad at telling jokes.......since no body got it.....

My car will never ever use synthetic oil again. Every engine failure I've ever seen (my own and other people's) has occurred with synthetics in use. Just my experience. Stay away.
    I'm sorry to say that I'm not alone in feeling synth is a waste of money....
    See, now you have changed your original assertion. First, you said engines are more likely to fail with synthetic oil, which is more than debatable. Now you are saying that synthetics are a waste of money because they don't do anything that dino oil doesn't; which is probably true.

Switched to synthetic since 3k miles.
    It gets new oil every 3.5k miles.

Initial switch to synthetic oil felt great.
    No noticable differences after every oil change after.

I'm at 17k miles still feels great.
    Let's see how long this engine lasts in the hands of a 19 year old.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

Lets put it this way... If your engine blow-ed up using Synthetic oil, it would have also blow-ed up using Dino oil... It's pretty basic but that is my opinion.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I Support ClubWRX
    3 words.........Used Oil Analysis
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by wrxdrvr View Post
    Lets put it this way... If your engine blow-ed up using Synthetic oil, it would have also blow-ed up soonerusing Dino oil... It's pretty basic but that is my opinion.
    fixed
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Here's my input. I am in no way saying that RP caused my motor failures. I'm just stating the facts. Take from it what you will.
    -I ran Castrol Syntec Blend for 50K miles at stage 2 in my 04 WRX. No problems at all. Changed oil every 3K.
    -I did a VF39 swap with supporting mods & protuned earlier this year. Put in RP during the swap. Spun a rod bearing about 6K later.
    -Just finished my STi shortblock hybrid build. Used dino oil for 200 miles. Changed oil & used dino oil for another 200 miles. Changed oil at 400 miles, used RP & spun a bearing at 550 total miles.
    I never thought about RP being the culprit until someone else suggested it. I don't really see how it seems to affect some motors & not others. I guess we may never know.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

subaru says rp bad for 06/07 just cuz it messes up emmissions.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Acrdys View Post
    fixed
    We agree to disagree. We'll leave it at that

For the record, the reason for the broken rings was not because I let monkeys change my oil, but because I let that idiot Clark Turner taint my UTEC with his tune.
    Last edited by brfatal; 11-09-2008 at 11:14 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast