How bad is it for my engine and car?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How bad is it for my engine and car? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2008 wrx with around 2.6k miles on it and on an average day of driving i really ...

How bad is it for my engine and car?

I have a 2008 wrx with around 2.6k miles on it and on an average day of driving i really try to keep the rpm's low and not get into it that often. However, there are those days or times that i just love to drive it hard (its an addiction) I guess my question is how bad is the occasional beating on it? i plan on doing all the maintenance on time and everything.

So how bad would the long term effects be if i drive my car hard?

Also after i get into it i feel guilty so i drive like a grandma afterwards.

sorry if this is in the wrong section
    Last edited by morphine16; 11-05-2008 at 07:07 PM.
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P
    2008 hatch - Perrin stage 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    driving it hard and abusing it are two different things. one can occur with out the other.

let me rephrase that then, its probably more along the lines of driving it hard....
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P

DUB
    you'll be fine. it's a sports car (debatable nomenclature, I know), it was made to be driven hard. As long as your not abusing it (dropping the clutch, power shifting, inadequate warm up and cool down, etc) you shouldn't have any problems.

nope i try to stay away from those things. The main reason i ask i guess is because i bought an 02 bugeye exactly a year ago and the thing was a world of trouble by the end it probably had to have over 3k repairs done to it(the dealer doesnt know about those, but by now im sure they do). so i traded it in and got my 08 which i love. I will admit though my 02 was automatic
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P

You paid big money for the car, so act like it! There are so many WRX's and STi's in for MAJOR repairs because fool's own them. I was in the Subaru dealership buying some basic parts the other day and I saw an STi with the engine completely ripped out. The bonehead owner ran the engine with super-low oil and blew it.

Drive it aggressively when the time and place is right, and you'll be OK. Do a nice 60/40 blend of casual/aggressive driving and your WRX will love you back.

soudns good to me. im just really skeptical because of my last wrx
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by morphine16 View Post
    Notice how my casual-I-love-my-car-driving-style percentage is larger than the other. The more I think about it, let's do a 70/30 blend. That ought to cure what ails you!

That'll be $20 copayment.

Quote Originally Posted by morphine16 View Post
    Just because you got one bad one doesn't mean you're going to get another one. Of course, that doesn't mean you won't either!

Drive it like you stole it. I drive my STi very hard sometimes (the other day my brakes were smoking for 20 minutes after I shut it off!) and it runs like a top. I just use synthetic oil and top quality filters and change my oil regularly, and just in general take good mechanical care of the car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I would say it is even good for it sometimes if you are not abusive.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I have a 08 too and I just broke thru the 2K mileage mark. I wouldn't abuse the car i.e Dropping the clutch, redlining the car, trying to light up the tires. But I will admit that after I had about 1000 on the car, I have been known to get the RPMs into the 4.5-5K range. I def wont do that on a cold engine, but As long as you don't drive like an as$ you should be fine.

Redline is where it gets fun though!!!
    I try to be nice to her i love the car alot. Had it about 5 weeks now and have 2.6-2.7k on her
    I think i drive it to much, but i guess thats just how much fun it is!
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P

another question, i ABSOLUTELY love the sound of a wrx with exhaust, Ive seen some people take off their muffler and just run a pipe out instead.. is that bad for the car? illegal?
    And would buying an axelback muffler make it sound any better? my car is just so quiet!
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The prodrive axleback sounds awesome.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

what about going to a muffler shop and having them build a custom straight pipe instead of the muffler and weld a tip on. Would this hurt anything and would it be illegal. I mean its not too loud..

something like this
    YouTube - 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX Straight Pipe Muffler
    2002 bugeye - R.I.P

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.