How to clean the mass airflow sensor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on How to clean the mass airflow sensor within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It's been suggested to me to clean my mass airflow sensor. I know what it is and where it is ...

How to clean the mass airflow sensor

It's been suggested to me to clean my mass airflow sensor. I know what it is and where it is but not how to clean it. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I spray mine with electronic parts cleaner.
    ELECTRIC PARTS CLEANER by CRC Industries Inc. - More Degreasers & Parts Cleaners at doitbest.com

Something like this..
    "Never Launched"
    Dougie
    - Founder, 250,000 mile club
    -5,000 posts

I Support ClubWRX
    CRC MAF cleaner: CRC Industries Automotive
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

That's funny, I had the same question yesterday on another thread so this helps. How often do you guy recommend cleaning it?

Can you get MAF clearner at a regular autoparts store or have to order it?

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by CadetARP View Post
    That's funny, I had the same question yesterday on another thread so this helps. How often do you guy recommend cleaning it?

Approximately every once in a while to every so often.

Can you get MAF clearner at a regular autoparts store or have to order it?

kragen by me has it.

I picked up the CRC MAF sensor cleaner at Autozone tonight on the way home. Hate to admit this and hope I don't get kicked off this forum but when I began to disassemble my airbox I realized that I didn't get the lid on correctly the last time I replaced my air filter So I cleaned the sensor per the instructions on the can and then went down to the zone to rent their OBDII tool to erase the codes and see if the problem was fixed. Sure enough the light didn't come on on the way home. I also noticed that the rough idle was completely gone and the engine was running as new. Thanks for the help Hope you learn from my mistake. Make sure you get the airbox lid on correctly. I missed the tabs at the back of the box. And I do consider myself fairly mechanicallly oriented. Hey, at least I admit to what I did wrong.

I also picked up CRC MAF clearner at Autozone...one other word of caution, like urinating into the wind, be careful when you are putting the little straw into the hole...don't get MAF cleaner in your eye. It stings. Bad.

I think I might need to clean my MAF sensor, or replace it. It keeps throwing a code for it and after the code has been reset the car runs horrible. When it comes down from cruising rpms to idle, it drops below idle to a few hundred and almost dies... any ideas?

Clean it and see what happens. It might be dead though.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

I used the CRC MAF cleaner, the car runs a little better but not much. I think I'm just gonna have to pony up for a new one. Does anybody know where I can get one for cheap?

There are a few things you should not cheap out on. This is one of them. Make sure it is bad though so you don't throw money out the window. Ask a local to swap and see if the issue goes away.

What kind of intake do you have?
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Why does everybody pay twice the price for MAF cleaner when you can get the exact same thing at Radio Shack for half the price (electronics spray cleaner)?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    I think Radio Shack stores aren't as plentiful in my area, so for me it was a matter of convenience.

You can also order online from their auto parts or electronics suppliers etc.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    There are a few things you should not cheap out on. This is one of them. Make sure it is bad though so you don't throw money out the window. Ask a local to swap and see if the issue goes away.

What kind of intake do you have?
    Is there any difference at all between my sensor and the one in an STi of the same year? Cuz I work with a guy that drives that and he'd probably let me yank that one and give it a shot. I have a K&N High Flow intake.

Quote Originally Posted by timber View Post
    I spray mine with electronic parts cleaner.
    ELECTRIC PARTS CLEANER by CRC Industries Inc. - More Degreasers & Parts Cleaners at doitbest.com

Something like this..
    I never tried using some spray with electronic parts cleaner. even before. I am always bringing it to my mechanic for cleaning. I guess i need to try this spray to my mass air flow sensor cleaning this coming weekends.
    Last edited by clarkandrew45; 04-08-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast