Potential Timing Belt Problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Potential Timing Belt Problem within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey folks, I'm new to the board, but have been surfing it for awhile and it's been extremely helpful. Details: ...

Potential Timing Belt Problem

Hey folks, I'm new to the board, but have been surfing it for awhile and it's been extremely helpful.

Details:
    * 2004 WRX,
    * 59000km when I bought it - now at 86,000km one year later.
    * No modifications to engine/performance to date.
    * No major work done prior to my ownership.
    * No major work done since (she's been a sweet ride).

Issue:

About two weeks prior, I got an oil change, and transmission oil changed as well. There has been small amounts of residual dripping ever since, but they warned me that this might be an issue for a week or so.

A couple days ago, my car started making a racket. Not your traditional belt squeal, but a combination of belt squeal and metallic scraping.

Yesterday, I brought my car in to get my summer rubber switched out for winter rubber. I went to the cr@ppy garage up by my house in the north of Calgary because they do an "ok" tire job for a decent price. Also asked them to have a peak under the hood for an hour and identify if it was a "simple" belt issue or maybe the timing belt.

Being a crappy garage, they couldn't access the timing belt, I guess you need the proper tools for this. They tried to charge me for an hours work with no results, I told them where to go.

Drove the car 5 minutes to my house and had smoke coming out of the engine bay. Cracked the hood and it looks to be coming from below the timing belt area that they said they couldn't access.

Thought that maybe they had used some oil or grease to help them get access to some engine components but I ran the car at idle for like 5 min and never got any smoke.

Tried to drive down to the subaru garage this morning and I got the smoke again.

Basically, I'm worried that my timing belt is gonna fail while I'm driving down one of the busiest roads in the city, ruining my engine and doing god knows what to the people in the cars behind me.

I brought it back to the crappy garage, a few minutes up the road to give me some closure on what the h*ll they actually did under the hood.

Sorry this is so long winded but I'm p*ssed off at sub par service.

Anyone with any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It's not your timing belt. Either that's working or it's not. There's not really any in between.

Normally fluids will burn off from various locations after fluid changes, but I've never had that go past 20 miles of driving.

You need to get a better idea of exactly where the smoke is coming from. You also need to diagnose the noise better. At this all I can say is it's not the timing belt but you don't provide enough info beyond that.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltbeefjunkie View Post
    Issue:

About two weeks prior, I got an oil change, and transmission oil changed as well. There has been small amounts of residual dripping ever since, but they warned me that this might be an issue for a week or so.
    Residual what? From where? Why?!

Drove the car 5 minutes to my house and had smoke coming out of the engine bay. Cracked the hood and it looks to be coming from below the timing belt area that they said they couldn't access.
    What is the smoke? Coolant? Oil? Burned belt residue?

My bet is water pump. Outsider bet is timing belt tensioner, but I'd not rate the odds nearly as high as water pump.

Find a garage you like and have them fix your car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    If your afraid to drive your car to a reasonable garage then get it towed.Will be cheaper than replacing a motor.And as the other have said,it's pretty easy to identify smoke by the smell and color.Oil and antifreeze have two totally different distinct smells and color.This is part of the process of trouble shooting,identifing the problem.If you can't help "identify" the problem more than we are very limited on how to help you.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Residual what? From where? Why?!

What is the smoke? Coolant? Oil? Burned belt residue?

My bet is water pump. Outsider bet is timing belt tensioner, but I'd not rate the odds nearly as high as water pump.

Find a garage you like and have them fix your car.
    I'm getting a couple drops of engine oil on my garage floor. It's coming from the front of the car, near the oil pan. All this cr@p happenned after the oil change, maybe they were wrenching/pulling on components and propogated this issue I'm currently having. I know

The smoke is definitely burning rubber. I'm obviously not an expert like most guys on here, but the noise is like I said a mixture of the bad belt "whine" which I've heard on many cars when a belt is nearing the end combined with metallic scraping. It's coming from the front of the engine block around the belt areas. The noise is loud and difficult to discern from a fan belt vs timing belt.

When The car idles, it doesn't smoke. Drive it for 5 min - it smokes.

Metallic scraping = bad pulley?
    Burning rubber - belt rubbing up against something because of the pulley?

Facts: I'm getting the car towed currently and sticking with the one garagae I've found that isn't run by complete morons.

So got the car checked out at Subaru.

* Idler Pulley needs replacement.
    * AC Belt is worn and should be replaced.
    * Alternator belt is worn and should be replaced.
    * Timing belt is ok.

Their saying the parts are roughly $400. With the Idler job parts costing roughly $240. Does this seem out of whack?

I'm thinking I should get the timing belt replaced as well while they are doing the rest of the work since I will be pushing 100,000km by mid winter.

So I guess the grinding sound was the Idler pulley not spinning correctly in the first place. The crappy mechanics I took it to probably dislodged it (and didn't tell me) - the car started smoking (rubber smell) during operation directly after - probably a result of the pulley rubbing up against the protective housing covers?

I'm probably way off base, but I'm pissed off.

Gonna try and get the sh*tty mechanics to stomach some of the $900 bill.

Anyone replace an idler pulley before?

Rotted
    JM

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.