low speed shake 03 wrx sedan

This is a discussion on low speed shake 03 wrx sedan within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; well im new to wrx's and looking to pick up this 03 wrx next saturday and i like the car, ...

low speed shake 03 wrx sedan

well im new to wrx's and looking to pick up this 03 wrx next saturday and i like the car, but it has one issue im unsure of.

when you pull away from a dead stop or low speed like 10mph or under in 1st or 2nd, the car has a shake to it. kinda like if you let the clutch out to fast and its about to die kinda feeling. but its not going to die, it just shakes a little.

the current owner told me it has an exedy stage 2 clutch and an ACT lightweight flywheel.

i remember hearing that lightweight flywheels were horrible in parking lots and low speeds, so is that most likely whats causing it? or is there a common problm with wrx's that causes this?

if its just the flywheel/clutch combo, plus me not being used to that setup doesnt help, i shouldnt be worried right? thanks for any and all info

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I don't know about that, but at low speeds it could be the tires coming apart from the inside.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

i was thinking the tires may be out of balance.....i would do a thorough visual inspection and if you dont come up with anything i would check the balance on the tires and than if you dont come up with anything i really wouldnt be too concerned.....it does take some getting used to with a new clutch/new car....

Quote Originally Posted by EvoEatr View Post
    i was thinking the tires may be out of balance.....i would do a thorough visual inspection and if you dont come up with anything i would check the balance on the tires and than if you dont come up with anything i really wouldnt be too concerned.....it does take some getting used to with a new clutch/new car....
    If the tire was out of balance it would shake at higher speeds. If the tire is coming apart it will shake at low speed. Rotate tires front to rear and se if it goes away. If it does, get new tires.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shaneomac1602 View Post
    i remember hearing that lightweight flywheels were horrible in parking lots and low speeds, so is that most likely whats causing it? or is there a common problm with wrx's that causes this?
    Both. The WRX had a known clutch shudder issue that was addressed under warranty and by customer request. However, that's not what you're experiencing, since the car no longer has authentic parts on it. You're experiencing a similar issue but due to non-Subaru parts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Check the U joints, that was the problem on my car when it did that or something similar, especially when going around corners at start ups.
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...