Radiator Problems

This is a discussion on Radiator Problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The OEM radiator in my 03 sedan spontaneously crapped out, car has 60k on it. The plastic part on top ...

Radiator Problems

The OEM radiator in my 03 sedan spontaneously crapped out, car has 60k on it. The plastic part on top (not sure what its called) began leaking coolant and I had no idea until all of a sudden the car over-heated and the coolant was GONE. Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows where I might find an all metal radiator, I'm convinced that plastic on a radiator is a recipe for disaster.
    03 WRX
    Bugeye Mafia Member #169

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MisterChristie View Post
    I'm convinced that plastic on a radiator is a recipe for disaster.
    well man if it was a bad idea every car maufacturer would not do this. there is a rubber seal behind the plastic cover so that probably went or there is a crack in the plastic, its used to store coolant before it flows through the radiator man

Well I would thank you for the input, but I'm well aware of the reasoning behind the use of plastic components in stock automobiles. Did you have any useful information?
    03 WRX
    Bugeye Mafia Member #169

Nature of the beast. The plastic ones are fine. They can crack, but I have only seen them do it after a hit or over like 120k miles. Metal ones can leak just the same. If its just the seal, you can go to a radiator shop(which are getting fewer and fewer) and get them to put a new seal in it.

Metal one? Here you go:
    Koyo Aluminum Radiator - Engine
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterChristie View Post
    Well I would thank you for the input, but I'm well aware of the reasoning behind the use of plastic components in stock automobiles. Did you have any useful information?
    uhm??? ok. if u read it there was plenty of info in it. like i said it was either the seal or the cracked cover. i cant mysteriously fix it via internet. i was trying to help you