High Pitched Chirp
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on High Pitched Chirp within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2003 wrx impreza and whenever i accelerate i hear a high pitched chirping noise. It sounds almost ...

High Pitched Chirp

I have a 2003 wrx impreza and whenever i accelerate i hear a high pitched chirping noise. It sounds almost like a cricket. Any ideas what that might be? It just started happening a week or 2 ago...

It also seems to "chirp" when i hit a bump.

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by srqwrx25; 11-02-2008 at 07:45 PM.
    "Only after disaster can we be resurrected."

--Tyler Durden

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I've been experiencing this problem too and would appreciate any input.

I had my timing belt installed (gates kit) and after a month the chirping started. The car still drives just fine.

Here's what I can say...

- It happens when I accelerate relatively hard in 1st and then initially in 2nd. The chirping lasts as long as the engine is under a heavy load. It's usually just a series of chirps for 1-3 second max as I accelerate. It chirps mostly around 3K rpm when it first hits boost. It then quickly stops once the acceleration evens out. If I take it easy it won't chirp at all.

- It also seems to happen when I go over a sudden bump or going up my rocky drive way in 2nd gear.

- The problem seems to be eliminated when I hold in the clutch. There's a bump on my daily commute where it always happens, but it won't do it if the clutch is in.

- I replaced both AC and steering belt but it still does it. Both belts were really worn so regardless I'm glad I changed them. (may have improved a little, but could also be in my head)

- If I make a sharp turn it feels like the power steering will stutter off and on. It makes a clunk/knock noise and I can feel it in the steering for a split second. Doesn't always happen, but it happens pretty consistently.

- It doesn't seem to matter if I have the AC on or not.

Hope that helps! Thank you!!!
    2003 WRX Midnight Black Pearl

My Pics: Pic 1 Pic 2 Pic 3 Pic 4

alot of times the baffles in the muffler and the condensation drain hole in the muffler make a chirp noise when you accelerate hard, I have dealt with this noise on dozens of outbacks, imprezas, and legacys...There is little you can do to eliminate it, with the exception of getting a new muffler.. of course if your chirp noise is present sitting still and it goes away when you depress the clutch than my bet it is your throwout ( release ) bearing or pilot bearing, depending on how far you depress the clutch until you hear the noise..

Thank you for the reply.

I should have also mentioned that the noise is coming from the front of the car. My assumption is that it may be a bad pulley. To describe the chirping better, it's more like a series of very brief sqealing.

Bump for anymore help.

I took it to the garage (area 1320) and they acknowledged the noises my car is making, but were unable to find the cause. They said that everything looked solid and it drove very nicely, which it does.

That's assuring, but it kills me ignore an issue like this.

I Support ClubWRX
    Chirping can come from:
    The clutch (one of my cars does this, sounds like a belt but it's the clutch!).
    The belt(s) and pulley(s).
    Physical contact (heat shields etc.).

Without the car in front of us though...
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.