advice on engine oil!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on advice on engine oil!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; what oil should i use for my '05 wrx? i have used mobil 1 (fully synthetic) i recently changed it ...

advice on engine oil!!!

what oil should i use for my '05 wrx? i have used mobil 1 (fully synthetic) i recently changed it to gtx castrol (fully synthetic).

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Either will do.

I have used Mobil 1 5W-30 in the WRX from 6592 miles on (nearly 4 years ago).

More than you could ever digest on oil and lubrication: Bob Is The Oil Guy
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 10-31-2008 at 06:33 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytech View Post
    what oil should i use for my '05 wrx? i have used mobil 1 (fully synthetic) i recently changed it to gtx castrol (fully synthetic).
    I don't use any commercially available oil, that stuff is for idiots. I just piss into the oil filler every couple of weeks.

Seriously though, do a search How to see if your question has been asked before. and you will come up with more information than you could ever possibly hope to comprehend.

What oil to use?

Since the more expensive cars come with either Mobil 1 or Castrol fully synthetic oil the answer to that question is pretty obvious. Also note that expensive engines such as aircraft turbine engines use synthetic motor oil as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Les40 View Post
    Since the more expensive cars come with either Mobil 1 or Castrol fully synthetic oil the answer to that question is pretty obvious.
    Do you know what the difference between a group III and group IV synthetic is?A clue is both oils you named are not group IV's but Amsoil, Motul,Redline,Royal Purple,Enos are LubroMoly are some examples of ones that are
    Last edited by Donkey; 11-01-2008 at 02:51 PM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    My understanding is that Amsoil XL series is actually Group III (I emailed them to ask once), other Amsoil stuff is full synth, M1 is Group IV, and Motul is Group V.

No matter in any case. The OP should use the oil type and grade specified in the owner's manual and change it at the interval specified by the Subaru oil change TSB.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    My understanding is that Amsoil XL series is actually Group III (I emailed them to ask once), other Amsoil stuff is full synth, M1 is Group IV, and Motul is Group V.

No matter in any case. The OP should use the oil type and grade specified in the owner's manual and change it at the interval specified by the Subaru oil change TSB.
    Oh,did not realize Amsoil made a Group III but I'm pretty sure M1 is not a Group IV but is a Group III.There has been some pretty big contraversy with Exxon-Mobil marketing the M1 as a Group IV.They changed there base stock a while back.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I believe either one of the oils you have been using are the best you can use. I believe BMW uses the Castrol which they remarket as their own. I personally believe that the smaller companies such as Amsoil, Redline, Motul are going to have a hard time producing an oil that is better than what the big boys can produce.

I believe either one of the oils you have been using are the best you can use. I believe BMW uses the Castrol which they remarket as their own. I personally believe that the smaller companies such as Amsoil, Redline, Motul are going to have a hard time producing an oil that is better than what the big boys can produce.

Did you even think before you wrote that Amsoil and Motul are 2 of the best oild that you can use. I run Amsoil 5w-30 and change it every 5K and it still comes out light brown. Mobil 1 is the worst oil you can use in a boxer engine. Go over on nasioc and do a search on mobil 1 and see how many threads come up in the infomus "spun bering" issue. It shears down very easy. I recommend Amsoil, or Castrol GC
    2004 wrb WRX "Bugeye"
    http://www.misubie.com/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    Did you even think before you wrote that
    Whether (s)he did or not, why mock them?

Amsoil and Motul are 2 of the best oild that you can use. I run Amsoil 5w-30 and change it every 5K and it still comes out light brown.
    What does colour mean to you? If the oil is not changing colour, is its composition not changing? Is the oil absorbing byproducts and dirt if it's staying the same colour?

Mobil 1 is the worst oil you can use in a boxer engine.
    My data with M1 have been excellent, and in fact the wear numbers were low enough that there is no point for me to consider another oil, as wear numbers are already single-digit. Do you have other data?
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Is Castrol RSX 5W-30 available outside of Japan?
    '01 RHD Bugeye STi
    Bugeye Mafia #147

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby-Dee View Post
    Is Castrol RSX 5W-30 available outside of Japan?
    Yes, it is available in a wide range of countries in the EU (DK, GR for example). Although there is no way to know if the formulation is the same as the JP version, it doesn't matter anyway.

I Support ClubWRX
    Not at all.If your impling a smaller company cannot produce a more superior product than a bigger,more established company,that is a pretty naive thing to say.Thats like saying nobody can produce a better oil and airfilter than AC Delco or Fram.........

Bob Is The Oil Guy has some good info in it.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Q horsepower has satisfied me for awhile now. lasts decently long.

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock View Post
    Mobil 1 is the worst oil you can use in a boxer engine. Go over on nasioc and do a search on mobil 1 and see how many threads come up in the infomus "spun bering" issue.
    A thousand monkeys banging away on a thousand typewriters will eventually reproduce Shakespeare's work. NASIOC has so many members with so many opinions and factual data coming in that only a few threads started by those members can create false negative information against a product. That's my opinion.

I'm sure the guy who spun his bearing failed to also mention the fact that he constantly abuses his car, runs it low on oil, and does constant launches while snortin' coke.

Again, that's my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast