02 wrx coolant leak

This is a discussion on 02 wrx coolant leak within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Excuse my ignorance... but what is this? I am leaking some coolant from the around the base of the cap. ...

02 wrx coolant leak

Excuse my ignorance...

but what is this?

I am leaking some coolant from the around the base of the cap. It doesn't seem to be a significant leak but you can clearly see that there is dried coolant covering the top of this container.

Any suggestions??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that is your coolant surge tank....we have seen this a few times so its not to rare.....id get price and avalability on a new Surge tank.....or you could try and patch it with some JB weld or something if you choose.......

I Support ClubWRX
    That is someone else's coolant tank. If yours is the same colour, you can try fixing it. If yours is black, it's probably best to go a step further.

The early 02s had black topped tanks. The inside was also painted black. This resulted in black flakes coming off and contaminating the cooling system. Owners often removed the tank, removed the cap, cleaned off the paint, and flushed the system. Later 02s had a silver unpainted cap like the STi car you've pictured.

This thread shows you how to deal with either case. First though, make sure it's not the rad cap or the hose clamps that are leaking. If not, or if the surge tank is leaking in addition to a clamp or the rad cap, see this:

Turbo Coolant Reservoir Paint Removal - ScoobyMods

Now's a good time for a full coolant swap if it's been a while, by the way, and while you're at it check for other seeps elsewhere.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

yeah, im going to be checking into getting a new one.

and sorry if i wasnt clear, I didnt mean to sound like i was suggesting that this was the actual picture of mine, i just searched yahoo so that i could use a picture for referance. So sorry if i used anyones picture.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by iambrentdaniels View Post
    yeah, im going to be checking into getting a new one.

and sorry if i wasnt clear, I didnt mean to sound like i was suggesting that this was the actual picture of mine, i just searched yahoo so that i could use a picture for referance. So sorry if i used anyones picture.
    Oh no worries, I just wanted to point out that based on the picture of your car, there are two versions of the tank you might have, that's all. Swapping the entire thing outright might save some hassle if you don't want to pop it open, it's up to you.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.