c.e.l is on
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on c.e.l is on within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so my c.e.l is on in my car and i took it to autozone for a free reading and its ...

c.e.l is on

so my c.e.l is on in my car and i took it to autozone for a free reading and its code p4057 (evap system) and i know its not the gas cap cause i took it off and put it back on twice just to make sure.

and when im under boost it kinda jumps/hesitates a little. any ideas?
    bugeye maffia member #304 l http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_fonseca/

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

did u recently get gas? did you leave your car running if you did get gas? sometimes when you leave your car running and you get gas it draws air in and that throws a c.e.l sometimes. ill have to think about it though and get back to you tommorow im kinda fried from working all day
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

i did get 2 days ago, but the car wasnt on. and thats just weird cause it was 2 days ago, and i even drove it thismorning, came home for a lil, went to my friends to change my oil and half way there the light came on.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    so my c.e.l is on in my car and i took it to autozone for a free reading and its code p4057 (evap system) and i know its not the gas cap cause i took it off and put it back on twice just to make sure.

and when im under boost it kinda jumps/hesitates a little. any ideas?
    taking it off and reinstalling it doesn't necessarily condemn it a good gas cap bro. what is the code name exactly. ex p0442 is small evap leak, p0446 is large leak i believe, p0452 is evap system performance etc... you could have a bad vent valve, purge valve, restristed/ broken hose and the list continues...

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    i did get 2 days ago, but the car wasnt on. and thats just weird cause it was 2 days ago, and i even drove it thismorning, came home for a lil, went to my friends to change my oil and half way there the light came on.
    also the ecm has to perform tests every ignition cycle or every few depending on the test. so even if u had a bad gas cap 2 days ago it may not have picked it up till today

no mods on your car right?
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by atrizzzie View Post
    taking it off and reinstalling it doesn't necessarily condemn it a good gas cap bro. what is the code name exactly. ex p0442 is small evap leak, p0446 is large leak i believe, p0452 is evap system performance etc... you could have a bad vent valve, purge valve, restristed/ broken hose and the list continues...
    at the bottom of the thing it printed out at auto says: EVAP small leak detected

but more towards the top it says: the pcm has detected a very large leak exists in the evaporative emission control system

Quote Originally Posted by NjBuGeyEdWRX View Post
    no mods on your car right?
    and no, my car is completely stock for now

it could very well be a gas cap ive replaced a bunch for that code, could have been slightly loose, debris on the seal etc. the only way to find out is with a scan tool and a smoke test machine man

and how do i go about that?

seems kinda complicated for a gas cap. just go get a new one i was gonna say that was another thing it could be, your car is older so its prob just the cap and its seal.
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

either a trusted garage or a dealership. subaru would be the most obvious but any dealer should be able to diag your car for you. a scan tool would run you about 2g's and a smoke tester with the nitrogen tank is prolly another 1500 easily so the repair shop would be the way to go bro

how much is a new gas cap about?

in the range of 20 - 30 probably for subaru genuine

Quote Originally Posted by atrizzzie View Post
    in the range of 20 - 30 probably for subaru genuine
    Can't you go to a parts store and get one for 7-8 bucks?

And I 100% agree with everything else you have said. I would first check the cap seal. If its cracked or dried out. R&R the cap, reset the code. If that ain't the case, see a repair facility with the proper equipment.
    If you have emissions in your state, you will FAIL with this code. You are leaking hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by indytruckboy View Post
    Can't you go to a parts store and get one for 7-8 bucks?

And I 100% agree with everything else you have said. I would first check the cap seal. If its cracked or dried out. R&R the cap, reset the code. If that ain't the case, see a repair facility with the proper equipment.
    If you have emissions in your state, you will FAIL with this code. You are leaking hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.
    well the one problem i have with an aftermarket part if the chances of it being perfect. im not sayin autozone or napa parts are junk but im saying if i was to fix an emissions related issue ide go with a factory part whether it be a gas cap or charcoal canister.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.