'02 Rex slow burn on oil

This is a discussion on '02 Rex slow burn on oil within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey fellas. Have my '02 Bugeye wagon giving me a weird issue I have yet to solve. I recently changed ...

Question '02 Rex slow burn on oil

Hey fellas. Have my '02 Bugeye wagon giving me a weird issue I have yet to solve. I recently changed from Mobil 1 5000 (conventional) to Castrol GTX Hi-Mileage (85k on her so far.) I've only ever used 5w-30 in her, and recently I've gotten this issue. Every now and then, not even every day, I notice a slight oil burn smell, but don't see smoke or steam anywhere. I checked this morning, and with around 1000mi on this change, I'm already down to just above half full in the pan.

Now, I've also noticed with the colder weather here in NJ, I get a slight squeaking noise. It sounds almost identical to old belt slippage. The noise only happens with the clutch engaged, in or out of gear. Press the clutch, noise goes away. I don't think it's the belt due to the fact that it's not an obnoxiously loud squeal.

Wondering if anyone ever had the same issue, and if you have any ideas. I'm at wits end and I'd rather not have something small to into catastrophic failure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A customer of mine had the same problem with losing oil, he used royal purple then went to valvoline conventional. Wipe your tailpipe with tissue and see if there is a layer of thick black soot(carbon). Two weeks later he go the famous rod/wrist pin noise. Im almost positive he was burning it out. smell your oil fill cap and if it smells like gas that is a bad thing. It was an 03

Well I've only used conventional thus far. No smell coming from the fill cap before or after running that I notice.

Anyone else got an idea?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pfsquirrel View Post
    Hey fellas. Have my '02 Bugeye wagon giving me a weird issue I have yet to solve. I recently changed from Mobil 1 5000 (conventional)
    There is no such product. Mobil1 is a synthetic line. Mobil 5000 is not. From what you've written, you were using Mobil 5000, not Mobil1.

I've only ever used 5w-30 in her, and recently I've gotten this issue. Every now and then, not even every day, I notice a slight oil burn smell, but don't see smoke or steam anywhere. I checked this morning, and with around 1000mi on this change, I'm already down to just above half full in the pan.
    Increased consumption the first few oil change intervals after a switch of oil makers is not uncommon. However, the smell is what I'd be concerned about. One possibility is that you have an oil leak unrelated to the switch in makers. Another is that there is an oil leak due to detergents in the oil dislodging debris that was masking a failed seal or gasket by lodging at the gap. Now it's gone and there's juice coming out. A third is that you are burning enough oil to smell out the tail pipe. However, a little oil goes a long way in making smoke. Is there smoke?

Now, I've also noticed with the colder weather here in NJ, I get a slight squeaking noise. It sounds almost identical to old belt slippage. The noise only happens with the clutch engaged, in or out of gear. Press the clutch, noise goes away. I don't think it's the belt due to the fact that it's not an obnoxiously loud squeal.
    This could be the throw-out bearing, and could or could not be related to the oil smell. It could be related to the oil smell if a rear seal has started leaking oil onto the clutch assembly I suppose.

Take a closer look. Take your time, remove the intake housing and anything else you can to get a good view up top, and search. If no luck, put the car safely on stands (not jacks; use stands), remove the covers and look with a flashlight for smears or liquid from underneath too.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Sorry, used to saying Mobil 1 out of habit I guess.

As for smoke, I haven't seen any. Where is the bearing actually located, just so I know where I should be looking?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pfsquirrel View Post
    Where is the bearing actually located, just so I know where I should be looking?
    If the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed, suspect the throw-out bearing. This part works to disengage the clutch and is not visible unless the clutch is inspected.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Crap, that's money I don't have right now. Thanks anyway.

So what would squeaking be when the clutch pedal is depressed, changes with engine RPM, and goes away when the clutch pedal is released.
    VF34'd Corvette Killer
    Bugeye Mafia Member #188