Water FLYING out the overflow under boost, Help!

This is a discussion on Water FLYING out the overflow under boost, Help! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey there, i've just recently purchased a 1998 WRX sti version 5 and under none or little boost the car ...

Water FLYING out the overflow under boost, Help!

Hey there, i've just recently purchased a 1998 WRX sti version 5 and under none or little boost the car runs fantastically, but as soon as the pressure builds and the boost comes on, water flies out the radiator overflow. After the car has been driven it looks like it is bubbling in the overflow. The previous owner had done three head gasket checks and came up short. The only mod the car had was an external wastegate which i've taken off and is now running everything standard. Any ideas as to what it might be other than the head gasket? The temperature gauge is also sitting really low, mostly under halfway and on colder nights just sits at zero or a quarter. Oh and the car doesn't overheat, but I guess after a lot of boosting and all the water leaving the radiator it will eventually. And when I checked the radiator the water all looks fine, not murky or anything, and the oil also looks fine. Any ideas, suggestions, helpful or even not so helpful advise would be great! I'm keen to try anything at this stage.

Cheers,
    Tim.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

are you sure that the external wastegate is the only mod? Because JUST doing an external wastegate on an otherwise stock vehicle, (in my experience) isn't very common.

And do you mean the headgasket is fine? or there is problems? for it to not be reaching operating temps is very interesting. So let me get this straight, the coolant only overflows when your under positive boost?

Yeah it was the only modification. The VF29 turbo was replaced last year with another VF29 but the internal wastegate was welded shut, hence the need for an external.

The headgasket checks the previous owner did passed on all three of them, but I'm still not ruling it out. I was wanting to try some other stuff before I invested into some new heads.

Yup, under positive boost, wooOOOSHH! Water/Coolant/Other additives, fly out of the overflow and sprays cars next to me.

Oh and the turbo is also water cooled, so perhaps air or water could be getting into the system that way?

I Support ClubWRX
    OK don't rule out something simple yet. Since you know the turbo was replaced, you know the cooling system was open since the turbo is water cooled.

Burp the cooling system. Let the car cool completely (think "overnight" best). Remove the radiator cap. Gently squeeze the top radiator hose to help get bubbles out of the system. Keep at it, it can take a long time. Search "burping" here or on other Subaru fora for more details.

See if that helps.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

And after burping, if you still get coolant push and bubbles, you need headgaskets.
    I work on vehicles that make 650hp and 2400ft/lbs.

I burped the car for a while and a few bubbles came out, the operating temperature seems to be back to normal, however there is still bubbling and coolant push out the overflow. When I blocked where the radiator cap would be when burping, bubbles came out the overflow too.

So there is nothing else to check? Air couldn't be getting into the system any other way? I might go get another head check just to make sure. But you think after 4 it would have to be something else!

Water FLYING out the overflow under boost and over boost.

Hi, I too have Water FLYING out the overflow under boost,covering my windscreen.
    I had a new engine put in last christmas with new gasgets. This job was fine no broblems, But I then blew the new gaskets 5 months later, They were replaced and Then again, I blew these gaskets,This is with in 3 months! And now am ready to have another head gasket put in,((its at the garage now,)) I have the 1993 wrx jap import.
    Do i just get another cylinder head,or will this happen again?
    I too can just drive arong normal,alls fine. But when it comes to put ur foot down i get water bubbling out of my bonet vent.
    My temp gauge shows fine, most of the time,But sometimes due to me thinking, i was a bit short on water because of the water coming out with the boost problem,did the car show slightly warmer then usual. I thought i need a new radiator so i bought one,its not been fitted as the garage says its the head gasgets! and not the radiator!
    I also have a problem of over boosting,If I get to about 4-5000 rpm in ALL gears, all of a sudden its stops the boost,and you are stoped dead,near on putting you through the windscreen!
    What is happening to my poor 'old' Scoob!? Does anyone know how to help!!?
    Thanks, Emm