invidia downpipe and 3inch borla with no tune..
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on invidia downpipe and 3inch borla with no tune.. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so i reccently purchased an 03 wrx with 62,000 miles on it that has had turboback exhaust on it ...

invidia downpipe and 3inch borla with no tune..

Ok so i reccently purchased an 03 wrx with 62,000 miles on it that has had turboback exhaust on it for ????????? miles.

After reading some posts on this website I realized that it isn't the smartest thing to run turboback exhaust with the stock tune on the ecu....

So here are my Q's....

1) If I just opt out and buy a cobb accessport will that keep me safe from severely damaging my engine or will these modification require somthing more, like a custom tune from a performance shop...

2) Exactly how bad is it to run my car with turboback and the stock tune......like make up some comparitive and extremely overexaggerated metaphor....or just tell me exactly what it will do to my engine......but be graphic please....How much damage do you think i've done already???

3) If i get the cobb, exactly how easy is it to reflash my ecu......D I just plug it in,go to stage 1 and let it do the rest....

4) where is the best place to get a cobb accessport.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by naneek View Post
    Ok so i reccently purchased an 03 wrx with 62,000 miles on it that has had turboback exhaust on it for ????????? miles.

After reading some posts on this website I realized that it isn't the smartest thing to run turboback exhaust with the stock tune on the ecu....

So here are my Q's....

1) If I just opt out and buy a cobb accessport will that keep me safe from severely damaging my engine or will these modification require somthing more, like a custom tune from a performance shop...

COBB OTS map is fine. Perfectly safe. A protune will give you more power with smoother delivery.

2) Exactly how bad is it to run my car with turboback and the stock tune......like make up some comparitive and extremely overexaggerated metaphor....or just tell me exactly what it will do to my engine......but be graphic please....How much damage do you think i've done already???

On an '03, not that bad. It's probably fine. But EM is needed to extract the most from the mods.

3) If i get the cobb, exactly how easy is it to reflash my ecu......D I just plug it in,go to stage 1 and let it do the rest....

Very easy. Just follow the instructions. It's simple. And you will use a stage 2 map. Read the map notes on COBB's website and pick the correct map for your application.

4) where is the best place to get a cobb accessport.....

Classifieds on NASIOC. Buy from a guy w/ good feedback. Make sure you are buying the correct model (AP-SUB-001). I chose one that specifically stated in the ad "guaranteed unmarried" and showed a picture that included all the original parts/packaging.
    Responses in Red above.

Also, if you have weighed your options and decided on the AccessPORT, that's fine, I'm not trying to preach to you about the best EM. But just to make sure you know, there are other options out there besides the AP.

honestly i haven't really weighed anything....

I'm a newborn baby in the world of forced induction vehicles...

I understand how the process of forced induction works and everything....However i'm clueless as far as the products available for my car goes.....

Exactly what other options are there for me.....

cost effective of course, as well as safe and reliable....

I still owe over 8 grand on this car and I surely don't want to blow it up....

I'm not to worried about speed at all, the car is fine infact i would love for it to be stock.....But demodding is out of the question right now.......So really I just want to make sure that having these mods is safe for it to be driven daily with........

I've read that having a belmouth DP and aftermarket exhaust is terrible on them....

DUB
    Spend some time reading here, it will give you a good start.

Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC

There are lots of other choices for EM. The AP is by far the most n00b friendly, but that comes a cost premium. Opensource is the other popular choice. Buy a Tactrix cable (hooks your laptop to your car) used for $70. Download free software. Buy a stage 2 OTS base map and flash it. It is much cheaper but a little more technically difficult (it too, however, is easily mastered with much research).

Thanks a bunch.....

But what exactly will running my car like this, with the stock tune and these mod's do to it???

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by naneek View Post
    Thanks a bunch.....

But what exactly will running my car like this, with the stock tune and these mod's do to it???
    Not make as much power as they would with engine management. That's all.

ok....well then thats not a big deal to me really......

I just thought that it could possibly cause detrimental damage to my engine, and that is somthing i'd like to avoid.....I need to make this car last me a long time......

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.