stock 2.5 rs fuel consumption

This is a discussion on stock 2.5 rs fuel consumption within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I realize this is a wrx site and maybe posting about a 2.5rs may seem off topic, but I thought ...

Unhappy stock 2.5 rs fuel consumption

I realize this is a wrx site and maybe posting about a 2.5rs may seem off topic, but I thought I'd ask and risk getting flamed for it.

So before I bought my standard 02 RS last week, I did some research into the car to get a feel of the gas consumption. Most sites (including fueleconomy.org) talk about 19-25mpg so I thought that was expected from a car this size/weight. But after driving a week, it looks like I'm only getting 14 at best, and I'm mostly keeping below 3500rpm, not flooring it like madmax. So now I'm thinking wtf?

Is this really what I should be getting for a 6yo car? Could the previous owner have done some engine mods that increased fuel consumption? If he did, I can't really tell as the car doesn't really rip or anything compared to other 2.5 rs I've driven in the past. And nothing really sticks out under the hood (like stupid air intakes or stuff, which wouldn't really be a factor anyways)
    Is there anything I should look for under the hood? Any maintenance you can suggest that may resolve this?
    Please help!
    Appreciate any tips! Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That is really low. How are you calculating it? Miles driven divided by gallons used, right?
    I only ask because some people do miles driven/size of the tank.

How many miles on the car?
    How does it idle (a little rumble is normal). Checked the spark plugs?