Radiator go boom? **w/ Pics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Radiator go boom? **w/ Pics within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I noticed last night sitting in the Bojangles drive through that smoke/steam started to pour out of the hood. ...

Radiator go boom? **w/ Pics

So I noticed last night sitting in the Bojangles drive through that smoke/steam started to pour out of the hood. Once I got my food, I pulled over and popped the hood. This is what I discovered:

There is coolant EVERYWHERE. I think there is a hairline crack on top front side of the radiator. I couldn't get a clear picture of it, but at one point, it was shooting coolant out of a very pin-sized hole.

Where do I go from here?
    Rogan: Live simply, love generously, care deeply, speak kindly.
    Mods List Build Thread
    Bugeye Mafia #196 High Mileage Club
    Fully Built EJ257 HYBRID & JDM STI 6-Speed

Miniature Awesomness

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

koyo
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    koyo
    About how much do the Koyo radiators run?
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

Man that sucks! I had the same thing happen to me with my Old Buick century. the bottom of the radiator blew out because the pressure releif cap didn't let go. I was quoted 400 to replace the radiator, thermostat and a couple other goodies.

Do you know if you overheated the car? if so, you're gonna have to pray that the heads didn't warp!

good luck with that!

All else fails, get a 08 or 09 like i did!

Quote Originally Posted by 08WRXME View Post
    Man that sucks! I had the same thing happen to me with my Old Buick century. the bottom of the radiator blew out because the pressure releif cap didn't let go. I was quoted 400 to replace the radiator, thermostat and a couple other goodies.

Do you know if you overheated the car? if so, you're gonna have to pray that the heads didn't warp!

good luck with that!

All else fails, get a 08 or 09 like i did!
    No, it didn't overheat or anything of the like. The car runs fine, its just that it's spitting coolant everywhere out of the tiny hair-line crack (at least that's the only place where I saw it leaking). Is there something I can use to just seal it off for now? Maybe like some sort of silicone until I have the money to replace it?
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

Before my radiator blew, I was leaking coolant. I bought Bars-all. you pour it into the radiator. go for a 20 minute drive and it is supposed to seal up small holes or cracks. I used it and it stopped leaking. I drove it like that for 2 months. you could try that.

Before my radiator blew, I was leaking coolant. I bought Bars-all. you pour it into the radiator. go for a 20 minute drive and it is supposed to seal up small holes or cracks. I used it and it stopped leaking. I drove it like that for 2 months. you could try that.
    I guess it's worth a shot. I just bought new motor/trans/pitch stop mount to replace those cause they were shot along with some other small things. So, money is a little tight right now
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

The Bars-all was about 6 bucks, you can get it at a NAPA or Autozone. It will be a good temp fix until you can get the new radiator.

good luck

The Bars-all was about 6 bucks, you can get it at a NAPA or Autozone. It will be a good temp fix until you can get the new radiator.

good luck
    Thanks. I appreciate it.
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

hopfully not to late

Adding barall to your radiator would be a terrible idea, think about it, your turbo is water cooled, and also you have water pump, adding something that will fill in any holes in your radiator will probably also travel to any "holes" or gaps in your turbo or water pump and destroy both, so hopefully you see this in time and dont put it in but if i amto late sit and pray nothing happens.

I Support ClubWRX
    There are two options with Koyo: The OEM style and the all-Aluminium style. Either will work. The OEM style comes with a built-in automatic transmission fluid cooler reservoir that does not get in the way if you have a maunal gearbox (if you don't need it, you can just ignore it). The Al version does not have an additional cooler, so if you want to use it on an automatic car you need to fit an additional external cooler.

The OEM version is less than $200 USD; the all-Al version is twice that. Either fits well and either will work.

If you need a radiator, you need a radiator. Stop-leaks etc. are good to get you to service, but no better.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

No, you're not too late. I was told by someone on Nastysock the same thing. I had only picked it up as an option and wasn't going to put it in unless I was really going to have to drive somewhere. But thanks for the heads up
    Mods List Build Thread

Miniature Awesomness

I Support ClubWRX
    The motor looks like the car was built in late 2001 or early 2002. If that's the case I'd buy two new radiator hoses from a Subaru dealer and I'd also replace the clamps. The top hose has a protective sleeve on it, and the replacement will not come with the sleeve so you'll need to remove the sleeve from the old hose. I'd keep the old hoses as emergency backups.

While you are at the dealer you can pick up Subaru green antifreeze (1 jug will do) or talk to them about moving the car entirely to the new blue antifreeze. If you chose blue you will need to fully flush and then replace everything with blue - but it's longer life at least.

Another option is to use Peak Global Lifetime. Two versions are available; one is diluted and one is not. If you need to dilute anything use distilled water.

The Koyo OEM style radiator comes in two versions, one with a radiator cap and one without. You seem to need the version without.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thumbs down Omg

Guess what. My car looks just like yours under the hood. It is leaking exactly the same. Runs fine just smells like coolant. I am getting a new radiator today. I will let you know if it takes care of the problem. You removed the air shield that was there or you wouldn't have been able to see the problem. I wouldn't continue to drive it though. You could suddenly loose all your coolant and burn up your motor.

Quote Originally Posted by onekrissy1 View Post
    Guess what. My car looks just like yours under the hood. It is leaking exactly the same. Runs fine just smells like coolant. I am getting a new radiator today. I will let you know if it takes care of the problem. You removed the air shield that was there or you wouldn't have been able to see the problem. I wouldn't continue to drive it though. You could suddenly loose all your coolant and burn up your motor.
    STI_KLR posted this thread two years ago, I'm pretty sure he got it fixed by now.

Krissy, What Radiator are you installing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast