boost dissapeared~~!

This is a discussion on boost dissapeared~~! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 04 wrx wagon, big top mount, bov,megan headers and up pipe, turbo back exhaust, cobb ap stg2 my car was ...

boost dissapeared~~!

04 wrx wagon, big top mount, bov,megan headers and up pipe, turbo back exhaust, cobb ap stg2

my car was running fine, then on break from school went to go get something, and there was no boost being produced, none at all. wastegate is not stuck open, and my boost guage is now reading -1.7 psi WOT. what could have happened? and is this just a good reason to upgrade?

72k on the car by the way factory turbo
    04' WRB wagon stage 2
    wagon Mafia #1 Where my wagons at?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by WRXwagonMAFIA View Post
    04 wrx wagon, big top mount, bov,megan headers and up pipe, turbo back exhaust, cobb ap stg2

my car was running fine, then on break from school went to go get something, and there was no boost being produced, none at all. wastegate is not stuck open, and my boost guage is now reading -1.7 psi WOT. what could have happened? and is this just a good reason to upgrade?

72k on the car by the way factory turbo
    If you have the time/tools, I would suggest removing the downpipe and taking a look at the outlet side of the turbo. You might not be able to peek into there, so a quick picture might work also. Using your hands, you can spin the wheel to see if it moves freely or not. I'm not saying that is DEFINITELY the problem you're experiencing, but with a little bit of time & elbow grease you can tell for sure.

Same thing happened to me when I was at the track:

F4.21 have root access, will travel
    :wq! 6MT20G

Quote Originally Posted by volcomsoldier19 View Post
    long haul, the wagon will give you happiness in the times of madness...

what would cause a blade to break like that or to seize up in the turbine housing. i do have the time tonight and i will check that out. but i would like to know any other possibilities. and will it damage my car more if i continue to drive on it while the turbo is out of commission?? i would like to not cause any more damage
    04' WRB wagon stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    A simpler possibility, provided you are seeing zero boost: On the wastegate arm there is a C-clip. This needs to be removed to adjust the wastegate arm (as in, when one uses a Cobb product to reflash and then has to set target boost). My bet is that the C-clip is now missing.

Check the wastegate actuator arm and make sure the clip is not only present, but engaged.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

what would cause a blade to break like that or to seize up in the turbine housing. i do have the time tonight and i will check that out. but i would like to know any other possibilities. and will it damage my car more if i continue to drive on it while the turbo is out of commission?? i would like to not cause any more damage
    There's no real physical danger to driving like that. The ECU will be pissed off it's not getting the air/fuel ratio it wants. Other than performing poorly, it's relatively safe for the motor (maybe not other motorists when your merging doesn't go so well). I got a whole 8mpg and was running rich as hell.

In my case, it was combination of 60k+ miles on a 20g and oil starvation. I believe the oil starvation caused the bearings to seize up, warp the wheel, and the blades made contact on the walls of the turbo.

the c-clip is still present. my ol is reading full.

thanks for the help guys, when i check it out at home tonight i will let you know what i find, i may just use this as an excuse for a new turbo though.
    04' WRB wagon stage 2

the c-clip is still present. my ol is reading full.

thanks for the help guys, when i check it out at home tonight i will let you know what i find, i may just use this as an excuse for a new turbo though.
    Good luck and happy hunting!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    im not good with stuff like this but could it possibly be that the cobb stage II map notes do not match up with the mods that you currently have? (bigger TMIC, bov, headers) and now your ECU is pissed off because of it?

just a guess.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    im not good with stuff like this but could it possibly be that the cobb stage II map notes do not match up with the mods that you currently have? (bigger TMIC, bov, headers) and now your ECU is pissed off because of it?

just a guess.
    Sorry about the misunderstanding. I meant to say MY ECU was very pissed off when my turbo failed because there wasn't enough air coming in. So more & more fuel was pumping in trying to figure out why the turbo wasn't doing it's job.

In the event the OP has a complete turbo failure, the ecu might try to compensate by making fuel changes to accomodate thus getting uber pissed Nevertheless, it's still relatively safe to drive.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ansonowicz View Post
    Sorry about the misunderstanding. I meant to say MY ECU was very pissed off when my turbo failed because there wasn't enough air coming in.
    oh, i was talking to the OP, not you =P

whole bunch of confusion up in this thread haha

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

check your actuator hose, your tmic might be hitting the actuator (check for damage).also check any hoses that are related to the boost system. check the actuator arm or the bar that open and closes the waste gate...good luck!!

check and make sure your sensor in the up pipe didnt break off and go into the turbo just suggesting