changing oil and types?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on changing oil and types? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; alright so ive been told to use mobile 1 for the car... but when i went to the store there ...

changing oil and types?

alright so ive been told to use mobile 1 for the car... but when i went to the store there were different types... 40-10 or something. i was wondering what type of oil i should use?

if i were to change it myself, would anyone know a website that can give me a tutorial on how to change oil in an 05 sti?

thanks =)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    Look in your owners manual for manufactures recommended oil weights. Or you can even just pop the hood, it says right on the oil filler cap it's self.

A complete n00b's guide to changing the oil in your WRX (with pics!) - NASIOC

whoop alright thanks =)

Here's a tip for you: Go to Walmart to get your oil. They sell 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for $22-23, and the filters are also a couple of bucks cheaper than your local auto parts store. This will usually save you about $10 over the auto parts store where you can only get the oil in quarts for $6+/quart.

Your car has a 4.8 quart oil capacity so you can just pour in the entire 5 quart jug of oil. There's no need to pre-fill the oil filter as it says in the instructions the person posted above either. It's just an unnecessary step that adds a couple of extra ways to make a mess!

It's key to use a Mobil 1 oil filter (or one with similar performance) instead of the standard filter. The standard filter or any cheap filters will only have a 5k mile life as opposed to the Mobil 1 filter that can easily go 10k miles. Since you can go 8-10k miles with synthetic oil, you need a filter that can go more miles.

You may also burn some oil. I use about a quart every 3k miles. People are all over the place on this and it doesn't seem to matter how you drive or anything like that, it just seems to be that some engines burn oil and some don't, and everything through the spectrum in between too. This actually extends my oil change interval though since I'm adding 20% new oil including all the additives and things the car needs. So here's an example of my oil change schedule:
    45k miles - Replaced oil and filter - Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 1 M-108 filter
    48k miles - Added 1 quart Mobil 1 5w-30
    51k miles - Added 1 quart Mobil 1 5w-30
    54k miles - Replaced oil and filter - Mobil 1 5w-30 and Mobil 1 M-108 filter

For all of you people that insist oil must be change every 3k miles, please keep in mind the recommended oil change interval on a Porsche 911 is 20k miles with Mobil 1. At 3k miles Mobil 1 is just getting warmed up.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Castrol Syntec (5qt, Walmart) + OEM filter (I buy 6 at a time through the local parts manager who's a friend) = $25 / oil change

This is about the easiest thing you can do with your car, other than drive/wash it. Consider any shop will charge you $50+ for an oil change with synthetic (if not more), this is an easy way to save some $$.

As for the interval, IIRC, Subaru recommends an oil change every 3,750 miles on their turbocharged engines. Personally, when I hit the 3,000 mile mark, I make a mental note that sometime when I'm near Walmart to pick up oil. This often means I do it every 3,300-3,500 miles.

Get a set of RhinoRamps, an oil pan, and an oil storage container, and you're all set.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    For all of you people that insist oil must be change every 3k miles, please keep in mind the recommended oil change interval on a Porsche 911 is 20k miles with Mobil 1. At 3k miles Mobil 1 is just getting warmed up.
    What does your TBN from Blackstone look like after that 9k change interval?

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    What does your TBN from Blackstone look like after that 9k change interval?
    Please don't try to lecture me on when/why I should be changing my oil. Brand new oil doesn't lubricate any noticeable amount better than somewhat dirty high quality oil well within its mileage/usage limits. Since I've replaced 40% of my oil within that 9k miles, and I'm using one of the best oils available that has additives good for well over double that 9k miles, I'm sure my TBN is very good. The color is good when I change it, and I also use the best filter available on the market with over 98% filtration efficiency, as compared to the ~92-94% efficiency of the stock Subaru filter or pretty much any other inexpensive filter.
    Scott
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.

I Support ClubWRX
    I think it's actually a legitimate question though. The answer is legitimate too -- I think at least theoretically the 5/10W-30 stuff is going to end up with a comparable, if not better TBN when all is said and done than the much more robust 5W-40 I use, exactly because of all the topping up.

From what I've seen on other motors TBN of the 5W-40 (Delvac1 or M1 TurboDiesel) is marginal at 7,500 mi, but most EJs don't drink much of that stuff so people tend to not top off as much as others using a xW-30 M1.

The real concern with going long on a turbo Subaru post 04 for 2.5L motors is the known screen issue, and topping off won't address that. If my motor were a 2.5L turbo I'd use a shorter drain interval than I do now with the 2.0L (I've settled on 5K or whenever I remember, whichever comes second).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

DUB
    Please don't try to lecture me on when/why I should be changing my oil.
    Lecture? I think you are confused. I asked you a question because I wanted to know the answer. So your answer is "I haven't done one", correct?

I could care less when you change your oil, it's your car. So you change your timing belt every 75k and your oil every 9k, whoopdy-do.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I think it's actually a legitimate question though. The answer is legitimate too -- I think at least theoretically the 5/10W-30 stuff is going to end up with a comparable, if not better TBN when all is said and done than the much more robust 5W-40 I use, exactly because of all the topping up.

From what I've seen on other motors TBN of the 5W-40 (Delvac1 or M1 TurboDiesel) is marginal at 7,500 mi, but most EJs don't drink much of that stuff so people tend to not top off as much as others using a xW-30 M1.

The real concern with going long on a turbo Subaru post 04 for 2.5L motors is the known screen issue, and topping off won't address that. If my motor were a 2.5L turbo I'd use a shorter drain interval than I do now with the 2.0L (I've settled on 5K or whenever I remember, whichever comes second).
    Wow somebody that actually supports my point of view (even if not 100% ). That doesn't happen often. I assume by the screen issue you mean the filter in the turbo feed line? I removed that filter in my car so I don't have to worry about that issue.

Quote Originally Posted by DUB View Post
    Lecture? I think you are confused. I asked you a question because I wanted to know the answer. So your answer is "I haven't done one", correct?

I could care less when you change your oil, it's your car. So you change your timing belt every 75k and your oil every 9k, whoopdy-do.
    My apologies, I misinterpreted your tone. Most people don't believe the oil and filter perform perfectly well at that interval.

And no, I haven't done one. I have an excellent source for Mobil 1 performance data (direct line to their development engineers) so I have faith in how I use it.
    Scott

DUB
    My apologies, I misinterpreted your tone. Most people don't believe the oil and filter perform perfectly well at that interval.

And no, I haven't done one. I have an excellent source for Mobil 1 performance data (direct line to their development engineers) so I have faith in how I use it.
    cool

I Support ClubWRX
    I assume by the screen issue you mean the filter in the turbo feed line? I removed that filter in my car so I don't have to worry about that issue.
    Do you recall from the TSB or some other info source if there are other screens to worry about? The turbo feed line would explain turbo failures but there were also motor failures and I could swear there were other screens (but memory isn't my strong suit).

BTW, do you recall the sump size for the 911? A higher capacity will increase the drain interval.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Tsb?

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Do you recall from the TSB or some other info source if there are other screens to worry about? The turbo feed line would explain turbo failures but there were also motor failures and I could swear there were other screens (but memory isn't my strong suit).

BTW, do you recall the sump size for the 911? A higher capacity will increase the drain interval.
    You're thinking of the screen for the AVCS. It usually alerts the owner via a rough idle, giving plenty of warning before it causes any major engine damage. So, less catastrophic than the 'other' screen getting clogged. (or so I have read)

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by sicksynergy View Post
    Tsb?
    Are you asking what a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is or are you asking to be shown the TSB in question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast