Just installed a COBB TBE, exhaust leak FTW..
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just installed a COBB TBE, exhaust leak FTW.. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just installed a Cobb turboback on my 04 Subaru WRX, and everything went well aside from a few ...

Just installed a COBB TBE, exhaust leak FTW..

So I just installed a Cobb turboback on my 04 Subaru WRX, and everything went well aside from a few rusty bolts. However, there seems to be a small exhaust leak between the down and mid pipes.

The stock donut gasket was un reusable so I ended up buying a new donut gasket from advanced auto parts for like $2. Cobb specifically says that you use the donut and does not mention using a full 3" flange gasket.

From what I have read so far, the Cobb downpipe it is meant to use a donut gasket due to its easy application to the stock cat-back. I would of course think that because I bought a turboback exhaust system the Cobb midpipe and downpipe should mate easily using a donut gasket as well. However, due to the exhaust leak I am starting to wonder..

Has anyone else out there had this problem? If so do you have any solutions or ideas on how I can fix this exhaust leak? Perhaps a bigger donut gasket? Perhaps using a 3" flange gasket will work properly? Perhaps avoid buying $2 gaskets? I have heard that putting anti seize on the gasket will help it bond better, not sure on that one though..

I don't have any pictures right now so I am sorry about that, and will work on taking one or two at some point here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i myself never had this problem. i bought all new gaskets from jscspeed.com though their 11$ for the 3 inch exhaust gasket that you need. i say try that and you should be fine.

goodluck
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by AsunderAmity View Post
    The stock donut gasket was un reusable so I ended up buying a new donut gasket from advanced auto parts for like $2.
    Perhaps avoid buying $2 gaskets?
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. A perfect example of you get what you pay for. For a few extra bucks you can get good gaskets and never worry about a leak. I recommend these, pricey but worth it:
    :: Crucial Racing Systems - The parts you need for the performance you want
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.