Just installed a COBB TBE, exhaust leak FTW..

This is a discussion on Just installed a COBB TBE, exhaust leak FTW.. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I just installed a Cobb turboback on my 04 Subaru WRX, and everything went well aside from a few ...

Just installed a COBB TBE, exhaust leak FTW..

So I just installed a Cobb turboback on my 04 Subaru WRX, and everything went well aside from a few rusty bolts. However, there seems to be a small exhaust leak between the down and mid pipes.

The stock donut gasket was un reusable so I ended up buying a new donut gasket from advanced auto parts for like $2. Cobb specifically says that you use the donut and does not mention using a full 3" flange gasket.

From what I have read so far, the Cobb downpipe it is meant to use a donut gasket due to its easy application to the stock cat-back. I would of course think that because I bought a turboback exhaust system the Cobb midpipe and downpipe should mate easily using a donut gasket as well. However, due to the exhaust leak I am starting to wonder..

Has anyone else out there had this problem? If so do you have any solutions or ideas on how I can fix this exhaust leak? Perhaps a bigger donut gasket? Perhaps using a 3" flange gasket will work properly? Perhaps avoid buying $2 gaskets? I have heard that putting anti seize on the gasket will help it bond better, not sure on that one though..

I don't have any pictures right now so I am sorry about that, and will work on taking one or two at some point here.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i myself never had this problem. i bought all new gaskets from jscspeed.com though their 11$ for the 3 inch exhaust gasket that you need. i say try that and you should be fine.

goodluck
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by AsunderAmity View Post
    The stock donut gasket was un reusable so I ended up buying a new donut gasket from advanced auto parts for like $2.
    Perhaps avoid buying $2 gaskets?
    I think you hit the nail on the head there. A perfect example of you get what you pay for. For a few extra bucks you can get good gaskets and never worry about a leak. I recommend these, pricey but worth it:
    :: Crucial Racing Systems - The parts you need for the performance you want
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading