Broken Timing Belt

This is a discussion on Broken Timing Belt within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys. I just joined this forum today. The timing belt broke on me yesterday. I only had 82,000 miles ...

Broken Timing Belt

Hey guys. I just joined this forum today. The timing belt broke on me yesterday. I only had 82,000 miles on it. It must have broken when I tried to start the car. It was sitting in my driveway and I tried to start it and it made a horrible noise. I had it towed to a local mechanic. He doesn't even want to try and fix it because of the complexity of the engine. He also said he has no idea how much it will end up costing because he would need to take out the engine to see the extent of the damage. He did say that it doesn't look good and I'm probably looking at 2 to 3K. Obviously I can bring the car to Subaru to fix it but they're going to charge me more than anyone else would to fix it. It's a rough situation because I can't really call around to get estimates because no one knows the extent of the damage. If I bring it to Subaru what would be the best case and worst case scenario of what I might end up paying?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

well if your absolutely sure the belt is broken or skipped...100% worst case is a new longblock....4k,5k,6k....in parts....how many times did you try and start the car?....the cheapo route you could just throw a belt on there and attempt to start the car again? (not recommended) either way i would want to take the thing apart and see what is damaged.....it also all depends which subaru dealer you take it to...i know were i work if there is any piston damage than we usually just recommend a short block.....OR....if your thinking of going on a major upgrade route sometime soon...what a better time than now.....best case obviously is replace the belt and all is well.....but you should really find out what caused the belt to break or skip....age, tensioner.etc....

The belt is definitely broken. I opened up the hood and saw it. It's just strange that it didn't break when I was driving it. I just went to start my car in the morning and it didn't start. I'm assuming there is some underlying cause of it breaking since it only had 82,000 miles on it. Is there less of a chance of damage valves and pistons since it didn't break while I was driving it?

what year car do you have? you said you opened up the hood and saw the broken timing belt. did the belt break through the timing belt cover? or are you looking at a broken drive belt? any pics would be helpful.