Breather hose?

This is a discussion on Breather hose? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I did some searching but didn't really yield anything. Since this seems like a bit of a noob question, I ...

Breather hose?

I did some searching but didn't really yield anything. Since this seems like a bit of a noob question, I thought I'd try this area!

I noticed a couple of hours after getting to work this morning that there was a puddle of water under my car. I didn't use the A/C this morning so I investigated. I'm parked on an incline facing downhill. Opening the hood, and facing the engine block, if you look to the left rear side of the engine block down past the turbo and where the downpipe is, there's a small rubber hose that comes out towards the back of the right front suspension - it's not connected and appears to be to allow overflow of something to drip out. It's slowly leaking water but enough to make a significant puddle and I wondered what it was? It looks like a breather hose to me but I'm really not sure where it's from. The liquid appears to be water and is color and scent-free....

Cheers!
    2008 WRX Red (and therefore faster)
    2008 Nissan Sentra (wifes)

UK and Ex-Pats chat forum
    UK Chat Group

Wingl3ss @lliance #21

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like the A/C drain hose. Did you use your defroster this morning? Even if the A/C appears to be "off" the defroster engages the A/C constitutively (it's used for de-humidifying).
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I did have the heat on - it was a little chilly this morning! I didn't have the rear defroster on and I had the cabin set to the windshield/foot setting. It certainly looks like A/C condensation but none of the metal A/C pipes had condensation on that. That said, I need to try and follow the hose but it appears to go up in the firewall somewhere....

UK Chat Group

Wingl3ss @lliance #21

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by acrscotland View Post
    ... I had the cabin set to the windshield/foot setting.
    This will engage the A/C. That's probably the answer.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Magic - thanks very much! It's always nice to have an explanation for these things!

UK Chat Group

Wingl3ss @lliance #21

I Support ClubWRX
    You're welcome.