Benefit of a drop in K&N?

This is a discussion on Benefit of a drop in K&N? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 02 wrx, no mods. I've searched the posts here and have seen 'will run lean' and 'will be OK'. Are ...

Benefit of a drop in K&N?

02 wrx, no mods.

I've searched the posts here and have seen 'will run lean' and 'will be OK'. Are there any actual benefits in this car?

(I posted here since I figured it was a complete newbie question)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

By "Drop In", you do mean the K&N version of the stock air filter right? If so...it's just a filter. No gains/No loses.
    How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

no problem with it oiling up the mass airflow sensor ever in the wrx's? i had a tacoma toyota that the oil from the K&N out of the box, not after i cleaned it and reapplied the oil caused a soiling of the MAFS and it threw codes. i wont even get into the BS with toyota, K&N and the warrantee that concludes the story in me getting a new MAFS....

toby
    ktm dool-sport

I've been running a K&N drop in replacement on my '02 for over a 100,000 miles w/ no problem. I cleaned my maf once to see if it was suffering from the oil but didn't notice any difference. Seems fine to me.

When I first put it in it seemed like the car revved a little quicker and I could hear the turbo a little more. Small gains if any, but it has paid for itself over time vs. replacing the paper filter every 12,000 miles or so. I would recommend it.

Later, T.J.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

nooooooo gainsssss. Woohoo
    How Fast Can You Afford To Go?