Timing belt replacement, having problems o.O

This is a discussion on Timing belt replacement, having problems o.O within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm in the middle or replacing my timing belt, have radiator, fans off, and i'm trying to get the crank ...

Timing belt replacement, having problems o.O

I'm in the middle or replacing my timing belt, have radiator, fans off, and i'm trying to get the crank pully off and i'm having major problems, i already broke a strap wrench on it, and have tapped it with a hammer and put some penetrant on it. any other suggestions on how to break on torque on this thing?

and just to make sure i'm not complety retarded, someone wanna tell me which way to spin the bolt?

annnnddd ya its a 2003 WRX sedan, 101,000 miles on it!

thanks for any and all help!?

-Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/2.5Timing.pdf ...not exactly the same engine....but pretty much the same instructions.....as for the crank pulley bolt...was the strap wrench you used decent?...i bought a metal handle strap wrench from sears a while ago and have done timing belts a few times and it worked each time....you do have to have some serious leverage though..... the other thing you could try is taking off the little black plastic access cover on the top of the bell housing on the Passanger side and it exposes the flywheel you could attempt to ram a large screwdriver in there and hold the flywheel while you try to undo the bolt ( i dont take resposibility if you break anything doing this procedure nor do i recommend breaking the bolt loose this way) but i have seen people do it with success......im sure others will chime in.....good luck....

I used a breaker bar w/ a pipe slipped over the handle to extend it. Lefty loosie. There is a good timing belt tutorial somewhere on this forum if you haven't looked already. Good luck!

T.J.
    Last edited by T.J.; 10-10-2008 at 05:16 PM.
    200,000 mile club.

Old Irish adage: "Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege."

Thanks for the help Evoeatr, that PDF was great, it got dark so i took it off the stands and into the garage for the night, but the strap wrench i had was pretty cheap, i bought it from sears for like 8 bucks, plastic handle (which is what finally broke) but the actual strap was torn up because i couldn't get it to hold on the pulley and the pully was slipping, as far as leverage... i had a 4 foot long illuminum rod on my breaker bar for the bolt, and the strap wrench finally broke when i put a 1.5 foot PVC pipe on the end of that for leverage.

i put some more penetrant on it and i'll let it sit for the night, maybe try and pick up a metal handle strap wrench for tomorow, if all else fails i'll try that screwdriver trick.

thanks for the help dude!

-Kevin

T.J.

thanks for the responce, i had found the tutorial on the forums here and it is quite helpfull.

i took off the side covers to look at the belt, and to my surprise the belt was is near perfect condition, i bought it used with abotu 70k so not sure if its the original belt, but i figure i'm this far so i'll just go finish and replace it anyways.

Thanks again for the help! i'm open to almost any idea(s)!

-Kevin