02' WRX Power Loss all around

This is a discussion on 02' WRX Power Loss all around within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello, I have owned my 02' for about a year and a half, when i bought it she ran great, ...

Question 02' WRX Power Loss all around

Hello, I have owned my 02' for about a year and a half, when i bought it she ran great, but lately it has been problem after problem. Here's a list of my mods at the time i bought it:
    4" Down pipe
    3" catless exhaust
    AEM Cold air intake
    Auto Meter Boost gauge
    NGK Irridium plugs
    Turbo XS RFL bov
    About 3 months ago i had some boost problems, so i took it to a local shop. They informed me my turbo was "coked" up. So i decided to purchase a TD 05 16G turbo ported and polished, i installed it myself. Once the new turbo was in i was still having a problem with holding boost, so i bought a silicone turbo inlet pipe and new power steering pump.
    My current problem is that the car seems to be extreamly slow now, even 1-3k it doesn't want to accelerate quicly, it doesn't boost until a little over 4k and only hits about 5psi. At about 5k it makes a weird sound that i can't explain.... I don't think i have a boost leak and my exhaust seems to be good... Any idea's? AND yes i do need a tune, but why did it run good before and so bad now? Any input would be great!
    Last edited by turboryan; 10-08-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: additional mod...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i would say to go get a tune, but if that was the only other mod that you did other than the mods already stated you probably should get supporting mods such as larger ic, injectors, and feul pump.

i would say to check for boost leaks, but you stated that you checked that already. other than that i can't really tell you more...
    Quote Originally Posted by LPPTundWRX View Post
    ^^^Your sig is bull****....
    Quote Originally Posted by Integra96 View Post
    Is that a euphemism for a meat helmet?

I plan on getting a tune, but its looking like i won't be able to afford it for about 6 months.... So i'm basicly just trying to get it to run like it used to UNTIL i have the $$ for a tune... I'm really hoping its an easy fix like fouled plugs or Dirty MAF... This is my first turbo car so i'm kinda learning as i go...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by turboryan View Post
    Hello, I have owned my 02' for about a year and a half, when i bought it she ran great, but lately it has been problem after problem. Here's a list of my mods at the time i bought it:
    4" Down pipe
    3" catless exhaust
    AEM Cold air intake
    Auto Meter Boost gauge
    NGK Irridium plugs

About 3 months ago i had some boost problems, so i took it to a local shop. They informed me my turbo was "coked" up. So i decided to purchase a TD 05 16G turbo ported and polished, i installed it myself. Once the new turbo was in i was still having a problem with holding boost, so i bought a silicone turbo inlet pipe and new power steering pump.
    My current problem is that the car seems to be extreamly slow now, even 1-3k it doesn't want to accelerate quicly, it doesn't boost until a little over 4k and only hits about 5psi. At about 5k it makes a weird sound that i can't explain.... I don't think i have a boost leak and my exhaust seems to be good... Any idea's? AND yes i do need a tune, but why did it run good before and so bad now? Any input would be great!
    Okay......uhh are you trying to say you installed a turbo that pushes about a 100cfm more than stock and you did not tune it or install bigger injectors and you cannot figure out why it doesn't run right now?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

It wasn't running right before i put the new turbo in, i was hoping that putting a new turbo in would fix it, i figured one size bigger would be okay, the site i bought it from said it would bolt onto a stock wrx with out a problem.... Apparently i was wrong... Is there any way to fix it on a budget? i don't exactly have $1,000+ to put into it....

Sounds like you damaged your egine from running the intake and blowoff with NO TUNE. You can't just put a bigger and better part then to expect it to run better. You just causeed yourself more problem by buying a bigger turbo.

So would it be REALLY bad for it to drive it about 8 miles a day, even with out boosting it?? My problem is i have to get to work some how and don't have the $$ to take it to the stealership...

bolting up wouldn't be a problem, running it is different.

the best thing to do now in your situation considering you don't have the $ to go and do all the necessary mods and tune, you should probably search here or over on nasioc for your original stock turbo (td04 if you didn't know). preferably used because you already have the 16g. they come around very cheap and when you are ready for the 16g, reinstall with supporting mods and em/tune.

I still have my stock turbo, can i rebuild it? It doesn't have much shaft play and the turbines seem to spin with out much resistance.
    Oh, and i'm not showing any CEL since the upgrade....
    Also if some one could tell me what supporting mods i still need that would be great, that way i can start my "wish" list. I plan on going with a cobb accessport tuner, so what injectors and pump will i need? Thanks!
    Last edited by turboryan; 10-08-2008 at 04:05 PM.

since it's the stock turbo, imo it most likely would be cheaper to just buy a used one that "rebuilding." because from what i have been told in the past, you can't really rebuild a turbo. just locating and replacing parts with another used stock turbo, which doesn't really help your case.

the major supproting mods imo for you right now would big a bigger ic (sti or front mount if you have the cash), bigger injectors, feul pump, and an up-pipe.

+ i'm not too sure about the cobb ap, but i would just do an opensource tune. i don't really know if the maps on the ap would be exact to what you have. hope that helps...
    Last edited by p0rnstar19; 10-08-2008 at 04:15 PM.

So i'm starting to think the shop i took it to is retarded, how can i tell if my old stock turbo is still good? i had a little oil build up in my turbo inlet pipe and possibly a very small amount in my intercooler... Maybe i have a little luck and the old turbo is still good and i had a different problem. In SO. Oregon there isn't many import shops to go to so i'm kinda limited when it comes to "pros"

since i'm in md, i couldn't really tell you about shops. try looking up in the regional forums here and on nasioc to subaru oriented tuners so that you can find the best solution for the turbo.

the oil is usually normal on our cars, but it depends on how much.

i wouldn't be able to tell you what to look for in the old turbo to see if it's ok, but try using the search. i bet your questions have been asked before either here or on nasioc.