Someone help me out here....

This is a discussion on Someone help me out here.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, I have an 06 STi, yesterday I removed a Perrin lightweight crank pulley from the car because about 2 ...

Exclamation Someone help me out here....

Ok, I have an 06 STi, yesterday I removed a Perrin lightweight crank pulley from the car because about 2 weeks after having it on, i began to hear a "whining" noise, kind of like a power steering pump or something..... checked all of my fluids and thats all good.... replaced this pulley with the stock pulley last night... still making the noise... any ideas about what this could be? i just hope its not bearings or something serious like that... any advice will be much appreciated.. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you tension the belts correctly?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

yea it doesn't even sound like a belt squeal or anything like that... if its anything to do with the belts, it sound more like rubbing than anything... but i have checked that... just read a thread that said something about bearings failing in a power steering pump... got any info on that? just starting to notice that when the car is stationary, and i try to turn the wheel all the way in one direction, about 3/4 through the wheel turn, it almost seems like its trying to fight me, or i have hit resistance. Dude i dont know anything about power steering pumps.. help me out

I Support ClubWRX
    How many miles on the belts? Are they Subaru belts?

There's no "good news" about a steering pump failing, but the silver lining is that you'll know for sure soon enough. Have you done any doughnuts or otherwise held the wheel full lock (turned all the way) lately?

Start cheap, look closely at the belts. If they're old or not authentic, replace them with genuine Subaru belts at the correct tension. You can always keep the old belts as backups and it'll amount to a $30 experiment.

While the belts are off check the tensioner pulley since those bearings can fail and be loud, and that's a cheap part to replace too.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-08-2008 at 01:06 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

the belts have 40K on them, and yea they are genuine subaru belts.... i'm going to check the belt tension, i think that could be the problem... i'm thinking maybe a little too tight.