Caring for your rexxie after 100k?

This is a discussion on Caring for your rexxie after 100k? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Iv'e reached 102,000km on the clock now after routine driving for a few years. I have just recently had straight ...

Caring for your rexxie after 100k?

Iv'e reached 102,000km on the clock now after routine driving for a few years.

I have just recently had straight piping put through on car car leading onto a STI Genome exhaust. So I don't get bagged from cops or neighbours

Just wondering, What neccesary care should be taken to look after my rex? now that iv'e past 100k I'm moving into the modding world.

#How can I strengthen my engine? or should I wait untill it goes pop and do a rebuild?

#Mak'n it live to 200
    ------------------------------------------------
    .;:"Street Kingz";:.[Disruptz][
    Cars::
    MY01 BUGEYE [V7 EJ207+VF30+4EAT=266HP/198KW"]
    99 GT-B 5MT Wagon

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Disruptz View Post
    Iv'e reached 102,000km on the clock now after routine driving for a few years.
    The car is still new then.

Just wondering, What neccesary care should be taken to look after my rex? now that iv'e past 100k I'm moving into the modding world.
    Exactly what's in the owner's manual and at the exact schedule listed. Make note of the timing belt replacement as the valve and pistons will disagree if the belt fails -- mine is scheduled at 105,000 MILES though, not km; check your manual.

or should I wait untill it goes pop and do a rebuild?
    If it pops you've done something wrong or had very bad luck. From the wear rates in typical oil analysis data on these motors they should last far longer than an owner's interest in the car. If you insist on following the manufacturer's service requirements and use authentic parts at the specified intervals, the motor ought to last in my view.

#Mak'n it live to 200
    Do not modify the car, keep it up to date on service, and that distance is probably trivial.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Moding should be safe?.. getting it protuned, +supporting mods.

STI TMIC, Fuel Upgrades, Injectors, Protune... And a v35 if I can find one.

Once I do all that, and continue to service it on a regular basis..Should be good?..Or should I start from the bottom and do a rebuild to be on the safe side?
    99 GT-B 5MT Wagon

100k km is only 63k miles which really isn't considered that many miles in the US. We look at 100k miles as the milestone for having a lot of miles. We both use 100k though, but obviously ours is bigger than yours.

I'd worry about reliability if you're currently running a catless exhaust on your car without tuning. Or does your new piping start after the downpipe? Stage 2 is perfectly reliable in these cars if driven safely and regular maintenance is performed.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

It's a straight pipe from Turbo, straight out to the Genome Box. No mid pipe or cats etc.. Legit, But I think that may be illegal other seas.

The tuner world isn't very large over here, but parts seem to be alot cheaper.
    99 GT-B 5MT Wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Since your car is the earliest new age model you are unlikely to see boost creep, so you can use a straight pipe as you have been doing. However, without a map you won't be getting the most power out of it as you can imagine. Now, as you add power, it would seem that inevitably you decrease lifespan. How much is going to be answered empirically... I'd not fix anything that's not broken though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.