White smoke

This is a discussion on White smoke within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; last night i was driving and check engine light came on i figured cause i needed an oil change. so ...

White smoke

last night i was driving and check engine light came on i figured cause i needed an oil change. so i got it changed this morning and swithed from reg to synthetic. light went off then i went to the bank and parked on a hill front side of the car up. i come back out and i turn it on and white smoke is pouring out of my exhaust i rev it a little and more then when i get off the hill it goes away. any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, generally white smoke is oil and/or coolant. But if you don't see it but once, it might not be a problem.
    06 GTO M6 Quicksilver, SLP 455 Bobcat, LS7 Clutch w/ SS line (RPM tune:373rwhp/373rwtq)
    07 WRX TR M5 Garnet Red Pearl w/ Straight PPGs and Cusco front LSD (Agile tune:307whp/343wtq)

Banned
    they over filled it. same thing happened to me, and I let some oil out to drop it just below the full level on the dipstick and it never did it again

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    they over filled it. same thing happened to me, and I let some oil out to drop it just below the full level on the dipstick and it never did it again
    so u just drained a little out? but y would over filling it cause it to smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by cmiller219 View Post
    Whats happening is your burning the oil in the combustion process....oil smoke looks white but if you look carefully has a bluish tint to it...

If it happens just once it shouldnt be a problem, but go ahead and drop it just a little and it probably will never happen again as long as thats all that was wrong.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cmiller219 View Post
    theres actually a thread on this site dealing with this exact issue. the kid let some of the oil out to lower the level and it never happened again