Reversed Polarity Battery: Now What!?

This is a discussion on Reversed Polarity Battery: Now What!? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 05 Wrx stock block, vf39, pink inj, Story>>So, my battery died and i got one of my friends to come ...

Question Reversed Polarity Battery: Now What!?

05 Wrx stock block, vf39, pink inj,
    Story>>So, my battery died and i got one of my friends to come help me jump it.
    We get there and i connect the cables to my car and tell my friend to do the same(knowing my friend not to be car savy I remind him to make sure red to red and black to black). !Bang! crazy sparks come off his bat and i already knew. Its my falut im an ass for letting some one dumb touch my car.

Problem>> I got a new batt and put it on seached the fuses and i blew the 80 amp main fuse. located bottem right of fuse box under the hood. Dont have the fuse yet, I want to know if i fried my ecu and/or utec piggy back.
    And if i should even try turning my car on. I have injectors and i run a map selecter with a large diffrence in maps. Has anyone else done this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hopefully your fuses did their job and everything was protected. Hate to say it, but you won't know until you try to fire it up.
    Replace the fuses, get a new battery in, and turn it to the ACC position to see what happens. If everything looks and sounds normal, turn it over and find out.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Nobody has ever done this, really.

I Support ClubWRX
    Apparently not; nor does it make a difference. Really, if you don't try you won't know whether your ECU is fried or whether your car will fire up. The silver lining in the clouds though is that you are unlikely to now damage something that you've not damaged already. Check the fuses one last time, and go for it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by 914Wrx View Post
    Nobody has ever done this, really.
    I have , it's not a problem.
    The Fuse did what it was made to do, it broke the connection when it had an overload.

It's an expensive mistake only because the fuse is like $8-10.

Its alive. I blew the main 80 amp fuse. everything else was good did a full check.