03wrx hesitation, noise
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 03wrx hesitation, noise within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just bought an 03 wrx and i have a couple questions. i noticed that i have a little hesitation ...

03wrx hesitation, noise

i just bought an 03 wrx and i have a couple questions. i noticed that i have a little hesitation around 2500 rpm at low throttle. also i noticed it idles low, around 5-600 rpm. im new to subarus and i was wondering if this was normal idle, and if the hesitation was from a boost or vacuum leak? any ideas? also ive noticed that the valvetrain ticks kind of loud, it sounds like i might be low on oil but i checked it and the level is fine. is that normal for it to tick a little?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A little ticking is normal.

Look closely at the tach. The first line, on the bottom, is not zero; it's 500 rpm. It's likely the car is idling a little over 750 -- not 500 as you suspect.

Is the Check Engine Light on?

Are there any modifications to the car?

What is the service history? How many miles? Have the required items been serviced?

Does the car pull well otherwise?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

ok my bad i wasnt looking close enough- thanks, the check engine light isnt on, the car has 68,000 on it and it is bone stock. i did a carfax on it and it said that all the scheduled subaru maintainence was done. it pulls pretty good otherwise, just at around half throttle it hesitates a little at 2500

I Support ClubWRX
    If you cannot find a vacuum or boost leak, and since at 60K the car got new plugs (ostensibly) you may simply be feeling lag. It's hard to tell with no fault codes and no car to compare it with.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I get the same thing on my 05 STi. Every import car i have owned has had a little tick, and your car doesnt see full boost till around 3500 rpms, so this is turbo lag you are experiencing. Unlike a supercharger which is powered mechanically by belt- or chain-drive from the engine's crankshaft & see's boost instantly, the turbo is powered by the mass-flow of exhaust gases exiting your exhaust manifold, and has to spool up. And my car also idles at those rpms.
    How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

thanks guys its my first forced induction car

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.