I think i blew my turbo on my 08 wrx =/

This is a discussion on I think i blew my turbo on my 08 wrx =/ within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; happend yesterday driving home from work, got on the gas n my turbo sounded like boost was dying out (this ...

I think i blew my turbo on my 08 wrx =/

happend yesterday driving home from work, got on the gas n my turbo sounded like boost was dying out (this happend getting on the freeway) well nothing sounded real bad and my engine is running fine but high rpms my turbo doesnt sound like its getting as much boost as it used to so i can only assume my turbo has takin a crap? i dont have a boost guage by the way, but i have cai so im assuming by not hearing the turbo as loud as it used to be its not spooling up. the car only has 15,000 miles on it which sucks so anyone who can help will be much appreciated thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mikep123 View Post
    happend yesterday driving home from work, got on the gas n my turbo sounded like boost was dying out (this happend getting on the freeway)
    Sorry but I don't understand what you're describing. Does the car still run as before? Does the car just not sound like it did before?

so i can only assume my turbo has takin a crap?
    No, there are a number of other assumption that one could make as well.

i dont have a boost guage by the way,
    I'd recommend one if you're going to be modifying the car in any way. If not, then no you don't need one.

but i have cai so im assuming by not hearing the turbo as loud as it used to be its not spooling up.
    What intake are you using? Are you getting a CEL? Does the car run as smoothly as it did with the factory air box? Any other symptoms so someone might help out?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

is everything connected correctly and tight... if a hose or something is falling off it could drain ur power if something isn't getting where its supposed to. idk

Yeah, take a deep breath, slow down and describe the problem more accurately. Any CEL's? Air leaks? Nasty noises?

And why do you have a CAI?

A couple of words for you if the turbo really blown after 15k miles...WAR-RAN-TEE!

Quote Originally Posted by 2:43AM View Post
    A couple of words for you if the turbo really blown after 15k miles...WAR-RAN-TEE!
    Yea, but if the intake isn't an SPT one, put the stock intake back before bringing it to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Yea, but if the intake isn't an SPT one, put the stock intake back before bringing it to the dealer.
    +infinity

yea im putting the stock intake back on but basicly i have a huge power loss, no cel lights, and no more loud turbo spool just a little bit of spool =( but yea im takin it in tomorrow and changing the intake right now.

oh by the way it should be ok to drive to the dealer if i dont push it hard right?

If it still runs, then drive it, IMO. Just take it easy just in case. Shift at the recommended shift points. Make it easy on the old gal...

got an appt. saturday.... when talking to the guy and explaining i have a huge power loss with no cel lights. he was like ur turbo must not be engaging i was like yea thats what i assume hes lilke yea bring her down, im like PLS WARRANTY! haha thanks for the help guys

Quote Originally Posted by mikep123 View Post
    got an appt. saturday.... when talking to the guy and explaining i have a huge power loss with no cel lights. he was like ur turbo must not be engaging i was like yea thats what i assume hes lilke yea bring her down, im like PLS WARRANTY! haha thanks for the help guys
    Good deal. Hope it works out for you.

...and lose the "likes"...
    Last edited by 2:43AM; 10-01-2008 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    I was going to say that's impossible because SPT isn't going to be releasing an exhaust for 08-09s...

99% sure SPT already hooked up the WRX with an exhaust. Either that or they only made it for the 2.5I for 2008. My friend has one.

But back to the power loss. Someone may have left the car in test mode. There are two green connectors under the driverside. My guess would be maybe he took it to get serviced and someone left them connected which would cause him to run only on wastegate pressure which would be a kick in the pants when compared to normal pressure. Either that or the CAI is cheap and the turbo sucked in something it wasnt supposed to.
    ::XPT Stage 2::12.9 @ 105::
    Hawk-Eye Alliance # 9 2 2 1

I meant intake...

Not exhaust... Haha I have the exhaust on my car right now...

Heh ok. Im not sure about intake. My friends 08 STi looks like it has the same intake track as the Forester. Im sure an SPT intake from a turbo Forester would bolt up nice.
    ::XPT Stage 2::12.9 @ 105::
    Hawk-Eye Alliance # 9 2 2 1