Noise from the rear
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Noise from the rear within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i have a 02 wrx and whenever i make sharp right & left hand turns there is a rubbing sound ...

Noise from the rear

i have a 02 wrx and whenever i make sharp right & left hand turns there is a rubbing sound coming from the rear but when i turn slight you cant hear it but the harder you turn the louder the rubbing sound if anyone has any ideas let me know i gonna change the diff fluid after that im all out of ideas ps it just hit 50kmi on the clock so thats about the age and usage of he car
    2002 PSM WRX 5mt Hella Slammed/Turboswapped/DomTuned/Daily RIG

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

DUB
    Do you have wider than stock tires? Could be tire rub.

Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

i have the factory 16x6.5 with 205s

Best way to find out, is to jack up your car, get underneath it and start looking for fresh rubbing.

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolordie View Post
    i have the factory 16x6.5 with 205s
    strike one for me.

if it were a wheel bearing how would i know which to replace or just do both

If it's happening when going around right and left turns, and the bearings are the problem, then it's best to do both sides.

On my Mom's Geo Metro, it would stop making noise when the car was taken hard around right turn, so only the Right two needed to be done. But we did the left one's anyway.

so most likely the diff is outta the question

Wouldn't a bad bearing make noise going straight as well though?

Are you sure it isn't low fluid in the rear diff? I'd get under there on a level surface and check that. It also *could* be seriously worn brake pads with the warning tabs digging into your rotors, which if going around a corner, sometimes will only make noise when the wheel tilts.

I actually had an issue with a loose and worn rear strut that wiggled just enough that it sounded like I had a grinding sound.

Best to check the small things first before blowing a **** ton of money accidentally.

Quote Originally Posted by pfsquirrel View Post
    Wouldn't a bad bearing make noise going straight as well though?
    Your right, wheel bearings make noise all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoolordie View Post
    i have a 02 wrx and whenever i make sharp right & left hand turns there is a rubbing sound coming from the rear but when i turn slight you cant hear it but the harder you turn the louder the rubbing sound if anyone has any ideas let me know i gonna change the diff fluid after that im all out of ideas ps it just hit 50kmi on the clock so thats about the age and usage of he car

Have you checked the Bushings? What kind of rubbing sound is it....Is it a metal on metal rubbing or a plastic on metal or rubber on metal.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.