serious concern!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on serious concern! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The other day I was sitting in a hardees drive through and out of nowhere I start to notice this ...

serious concern!

The other day I was sitting in a hardees drive through and out of nowhere I start to notice this awful smell, so instantly I looked in my mirror and see white smoke pouring out of my exhaust pipe. So I shut my engine off and get out, and it keeps coming out of my exhaust, almost like somthing was burning inside my muffler. It was a thick white smoke. It has happened 2 times now and it is only when I have been sitting in idle for a few minutes. I have no clue what it could be, it dosen't smell like oil or antifreeze or anything like that.

And to top it all off, today I woke up to my car covered in eggs....

so it could of possibly been someone spraying somthing into my exhaust or it could be somthing seriously wrong with my car...

any advice???

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

• Is your check engine light on?
    • How long was the car running before the smoke came out? What time of day did it happen? Where was the car before that? Did the egging happen when it was sitting in that same place?
    • Check to see if your coolant is low (even if the smoke doesn't smell like coolant).

Make sure to clean off the eggs as soon as possible, and I hope no permanent damage was done. Good wash and wax.

There is no check engine light whatsoever.

There is only 60300 miles on it, with fresh engine oil mabye 500 miles old.

My coolant level is right on full when the engine is cold.

Just before the first smoking incident my car was sitting at work in a very secluded private entry parking lot, with a guard on duty, and the second time it happened, before hand it was parked at a state park while I was hiking.... The egging happened out infront of my apt.

And I washed my car throughly right after it saw it, and waxed her back to health...

Ohh and it was about 7:30 pm both times, and both times before it happened my engine was only running for mabye 10 minutes max.. long enough to go from work to hardees and the same for when i was hiking....then after mabye 3 minutes of sitting at idle waiting for my food the smoke started coming out....

and i always let my engine warm up on a cold start for about 2 minutes before i actually put it in gear and drive off....

A fren of mine encounter the same pro as well while warming up d car,lot of white smoke coming out...he then call up d trailer to send d car to agent and noted his turbo leak,in long term it might damage ur piston...before this incident his BOV sometimes not functionin...that was a sign...then few days later smoke came out...after replace wit new turbo everything fine...BOV function as normal...nt pretty sure whether u r in such a situation...jus an idea for u....
    Last edited by gior1683; 09-23-2008 at 03:01 AM.

Holy English?

I don't have a BOV installed though, so what would I listen for during acceleration to suggest that my stock recirculator wasent functioning properly? It has the normal whissss sound of the turbo spooling. I'm not sure what noise the recirculator makes.

This is my first forced induction vehicle......

Also, I'm not losing any boost pressure as far as I know.

There is no hesitation or sputter during acceleration to suggest that.

Should I possibly go get my system pressure tested to check for leaks??

Any suggestions or advice of any amount is greaty appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by gior1683 View Post
    A fren of mine encounter the same pro as well while warming up d car,lot of white smoke coming out...he then call up d trailer to send d car to agent and noted his turbo leak,in long term it might damage ur piston...before this incident his BOV sometimes not functionin...that was a sign...then few days later smoke came out...after replace wit new turbo everything fine...BOV function as normal...nt pretty sure whether u r in such a situation...jus an idea for u....
    Seriously? That was painful. Please at least attempt intelligence.

To the OP, I highly doubt the white smoke has anything to do with you BPV. White smoke is typically anti-freeze burning/head gasket leaking, but it sounds like you are aware of this. Also, if doesn't smell like anti-freeze and your coolant level is steady then that probably isn't your problem. I suppose that it could be someone spraying something into your exhaust, but I kind of doubt it. If that were the case, it would probably start smoking immediately upon start up.
    If all your fluids check out normal, and you can't see anything else obvious, I would say to take the car to a trusted shop and let them take a look at it.
    By the way, you said that you turned the car off right after it happened. I'm assuming that you eventually drove home that night. How was the car driving on the way home? Were you hitting normal water temp? Normal boost pressure? Do you have a boost gauge?
    Try not, do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda
    Mods

Yeah, the coolant level is constant and steady, there isn't any fluid being lost what so ever..

My engine actually stays a lot cooler then I had expected for a turbocharged car. It never even gets to half way on the gauge. It is always right between the 1/4 line and the 1/2 line.

The boost gauge has read 13psi at max boost since the day I purchased the car, and I haven't noticed any changes in the boost at certan rpms. It maintains a constant increase in psi when I accelerate, it dosen't flutter or hesitate..

Also just out of curiosity, what does the pressure mean when it is below 0 on the gauge? For instance, when I set the cruise going down the highway at 70 miles an hour, it reads negative 20?

I think that the accronym for the measurement is like ingh or somthing like that...

Ohh, and the car ran fine driving home, I didn't notice any changes at all....As far as I know the car is running perfectly..

But my judgment is a little impaired, my last car was a ford focus on its second engine....

gior1683 - Engrish much? Learn to type or don't post in tech related posts anymore...

OP - I don't know about the smoke, however it sounds like it is burning coolant...

About the boost pressure: it is read in in/Hg (or inches of mercury, or atmospheric pressure.) it could also be in BAR (unlikely as you said it read 13 psi).

-20 would prolly be b/c you're not at a high enough rpm to register the boost. At cruising speeds (I will assume 65 mph as that is the AVERAGE legal limit in the USA.) your car would be (I'm guessing, please no flaming, I don't have a Subie yet.) at about 1.5-2k rpm. This being said, the turbo doesn't actually add anything until, what, about 3-3.5k rpm? Well, then the boost guage will be reading the vaccuum in the line from the turbo to the manifold (via the venturi effect. sp?). So I would assume a neg reading on the boost guage would be the norm at cruising...

Hope I helped a little!
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
    - W.C. Fields

I Support ClubWRX
    If its not condensation in the exhaust my guesses are:

CAT
    Blown turbo coolant seal
    Blown turbo oil seal
    valve seals
    piston rings
    head gasket
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

DUB
    Quote Originally Posted by corybb View Post
    Holy English?
    Quote Originally Posted by psychobooe View Post
    Seriously? That was painful. Please at least attempt intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by JMack View Post
    gior1683 - Engrish much? Learn to type or don't post in tech related posts anymore...
    Has it occurred to any of you jerks that English may not be his first language?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd edit that name calling bit. Also, it looks like a purposeful slang to me and I did consider it.

Some things the OP can do -

get a pressure test

look for bubbles in upper coolant tank after a hard pull (carefully at your own risk, you can burn yourself)

look for coolant in downpipe & intercooler
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast